43

43

She turned away as the remaining soldiers began to bind Shihiri, though she still remained unconscious. There was nothing left to say, even if Shihiri awoke. That last arrow, the one that had scraped past Únik's cheek, was, for certain, meant to kill her and Únik knew she had lost Shihiri. Up to that point, the Fae had not tried to take Únik's life. It was the final blow and that saddened Únik deeply.

Ylthara wasted no time, either, looking towards the two sets of tight, winding stairs that led up the tower of the keep towards King Vraniik's chambers. Hatyara had taken one set, it seemed obvious, but which one? And had she already reached the King? As though of one mind, Únik and Ylthara turned to the stairs on the left, readying themselves for whatever may come.

There was little space upon the stairs, leaving them no option but walk one in front of the other, Ylthara taking the lead. With the way the stairs wound around, they had no way of knowing what they would find as they climbed. Hatyara could wait for them around the bend, ready to strike with icy spears, or bolts of sharp icicles, or even a slick floor to send any who followed tumbling back down the stairwell.

Únik had started to feel exhaustion creeping up on her and she knew using her magic had tired Ylthara almost to collapsing, but neither had the luxury of taking the time to rest. How Hatyara had managed to perform so much magic and still not need a rest, Únik could not know.

Like most mages, so she had heard, channeling Essence came at a cost. Allowing the decaying life force of the dead gods to pass through their bodies caused great strain upon mages. Even if they had wands, there was always the possibility of pushing too far, channeling too much Essence, causing the mage to burn out. Either losing their magic, dying, or, in extreme circumstances, burning, literally, from the inside out.

Únik kept a close eye upon Ylthara for that very reason. The Ice-Kin had a good, steady head upon her shoulders, but the need to stop Hatyara came close to obsession and Únik did not doubt Ylthara would sacrifice herself in order to stop her sister. Únik couldn't bear that. Could not bear losing the one person she had fallen in love with in years. Only the second person in her life.

"No!" Almost screaming in frustration, Ylthara came to a stop. "We have to turn back."

Edging to the side, Únik already felt the tell-tale chill in the air and, as she looked past Ylthara's body, she saw what had caused Ylthara's ire. A barrier of ice sat across their path and Ylthara beat her fist against the frigid surface. Turning her sword around in her hand, Ylthara attempted to dig the tip into the ice, but it barely made a chip.

"We can't go back. There's not enough time. If we're not already too late." Nudging Ylthara to the side, Únik pointed the tip of her spear towards the ice. "We have to go through. Let me try."

Únik knew her greater size and weight should give her the advantage and she hoped the magic within her spear could help her to break through the barrier. Heaving with all her might, she slammed the spear towards the ice-barrier. The tip dug into the surface, but not by far. The barrier still stood between them and stopping Hatyara.

Not ready to give in, or to turn back to try the other stairs, Únik placed all her anger, all her frustrations into the next blow. She thought of her home in Tracis' Midden, of Gislarik, of her sled dogs and of Barsa. Every ounce of pain and fury, given form by the spear in her hand. Once more, she thrust the spear towards the barrier.

It held. Though she had gouged a deep hole within the surface, sending shards of ice falling to the steps at her feet, she had failed to break down the only thing between them and Hatyara. She doubted any further attacks would break the barrier, not fast enough to save Vraniik, at least.