21

21

Despite the urgency in Únik's voice, both Shihiri and Hatyara took the time to pick up their belongings, leaving Únik almost frantic. Looking out of the door, the rains falling in great droplets, she could see the creep of the floodwaters edging further up the street, rising even as she watched. When the other two reached her, Únik wasn't even certain they could escape the flood at all.

"You'll thank me later." Tossing Únik's bag to her, Shihiri rushed past, pointing to the left as she exited the doorway. "I saw higher ground up this way, but, with the amount of flood water I saw, I'm not even certain that will be enough."

"Wait! Why don't we go back?" Gripping the sleeve of Únik's jacket, Hatyara pointed the other way. "The valley was higher back there. We can climb out. Go around."

As though in answer to the Ice-Kin's suggestion, Únik turned at the sound of rumbling and crashing back to the north-east. A different sound to the almost constant thunder, Únik raised her eyes against the rains to see a building, not too far away, begin to topple. Stones and shingles fell from the remains of the roof as the building fell, succumbing to age and the onslaught of the river waters flowing down into the valley.

"I don't think anywhere is safer. Trust in Shihiri." She saw the Fae, urging them to follow, at the entrance to another alley. "Just run, as fast as those little legs can carry you!"

With the waters climbing higher up their legs, Shihiri lead the way. Únik knew the Fae could move faster, were it not for Únik and Hatyara to hold her back, but Shihiri continued to keep pace, never straying too far, pointing the way with her staff at every junction. They twisted and turned through the streets and alleys and Únik lost all sense of direction.

More than once, they reached areas where the flood waters had not spread to, only for the rushing, black liquid to reappear, as though it pursued them as doggedly as Hatyara's sister and her soldiers. The rats that had swarmed past the building had all but disappeared, leaving only the young and the weak as stragglers, hissing and screeching as the three companions passed. Even Barsa ignored the remaining rats, running forward, turning and waiting for Únik and Hatyara, then running again.

"Patrons damn it!" Coming to an abrupt halt, Shihiri turned back to Únik, a concerned frown upon her face. "Dead end. Here, I'm going to get some height. See if I can direct you from above."

Handing Hatyara her staff, her bow, quiver and bags to Únik, Shihiri had already begun scrambling up the face of a near-by building, pieces of loose, crumbling stone and plaster falling as she tried to find hand and foot holds.

"Don't be stupid! Holding the staff as though it could harm her in some way, keeping it at arm's length, Hatyara scowled as Shihiri reached the top of the building. "If we get separated, who will fight if we need to. Not Únik and certainly not me."

"Worry about not drowning first." Únik didn't like Shihiri breaking away from them, either, but they had few options. The flood waters now reached her knees. She looked up towards Shihiri. "Come down as soon as you can!"

"There!" Shihiri pointed to an alley further down the street, on the wrong side. "You'll have to wade, but the next alley along goes straight up to an area that's still free of the flood."

The Fae disappeared, lost in the sheets of rain, the dark, brooding sky and the flash of lightning. Únik didn't have time to feel concern for Shihiri. Born of a race that climbed trees for fun, back in the Vale, Únik had little doubt the Fae could navigate the precarious buildings but, in this driving rain, with the ancient buildings crumbling around them, Únik wasn't certain that Shihiri could hold her footing.