38

38

The escorts led them to a compound, deep in the heart of the city, city folk jumping out of the way to allow the procession through, muttering and gossiping about the group and their horses. Not to mention Barsa. Ylthara paid no attention to any of them, walking with her back straight, head held high, projecting her royalty for all to see.

Outside the compound, some twenty Hagragng soldiers stood guard, while, inside, a similar number of Ice-Kin stood their ground, as though locked in a battle of wills. Ylthara mentioned that, although relations had thawed between the two nations, trust was a difficult thing to give after so many years of antagonism.

Now, Únik found herself in a room within the Ūtharan compound that could fit both her burned down house and her rendering hut with room to spare. She sat upon the comfortable, large bed, Barsa laid at her feet, uncertain of what she should do. The surroundings, though sparse, had a luxury to them that Únik thought she could never become used to.

After a few minutes alone, a procession of Ice-Kin walked into her room, causing her to jump from the bed through fear they would evict her. Two carried in a large wooden tub, placing it in the corner, followed by a line of others, male and female, carrying jugs of steaming water. Before long, the tub had become filled and the Ice-Kin left, never saying a word.

Únik dipped a finger into the hot water, pulling back as the heat prickled her skin. She assumed they expected her to bathe and, in all honesty, Únik felt grateful for the opportunity. Her usual bathing routine involved fast scrubs with cloths, back at Tracis' Midden, where even Summer months were far too cold to sit in a tub for too long.

After half-an-hour of soaking within the comforting grasp of the hot water, more Ice-Kin appeared to top up the water, causing Únik to scramble to cover her breasts and stomach. The Ice-Kin, of course, cared little for her nakedness. Like Hatyara, they wore the gossamer thin, silken gauze clothing of Alharai, showing almost everything of their bodies. Únik could never feel so shameless.

Once she had finished bathing, she dried herself with a towel so soft, she could have used it for a covering for her bed. A thin, wrap-around robe, found upon a hook behind the door, covered her blushes as yet more Ice-Kin arrived, carrying various items of clothing, laying them on the bed and leaving. Once again, not a word escaped them and none gave her a second glance.

Ylthara, and Únik assumed it was she that had sent the clothing, had chosen clothes that Únik would not find unsuitable. Good, strong woollen clothing. Breeches instead of a dress and a shirt that fitted to perfection, a sturdy pair of calf-length boots finishing the ensemble. The underclothes, likewise, were simple and without any ostentation. Ylthara knew Únik would not enjoy wearing Ūtharan clothing.

Dressed, Únik sat upon the bed once more, hands clutched in her lap, worried that her awkward body would break something, she wondered what she should do. Lifting her hand to her head, she felt her damp hair within her fingers, knotted and longer than she liked to keep it. Looking around, she saw a table in the corner of the room and a brush upon it.

While brushing her hair, Ylthara charged into the room and Únik could do nothing but stand there, brush half-way through her hair, mouth opened in shock and awe. The transformation was complete. Gone was the rough and ready Ylthara, one of the warriors upon the journey. Now she stood before Únik, prince of Alharai and dressed accordingly.

She looked magnificent.

"She refused!" Walking past Únik, Ylthara dropped back onto the bed, hands covering her face. "The damned fool refused an audience! I blame her advisors. Those bastards want a war, I'm certain of it."