16

16

Shihiri led a circuitous, cautious route back to the inn, keeping a keen eye on anyone they neared. Cries rang out throughout the town and they had no desire to become held and questioned about how Shihiri had dealt with the two men that had chased Únik and Hatyara. With blood covering Shihiri's dress and Únik's bare legs on show, they held no doubt people would know who to look for.

Entering the inn through the back door, they ran upstairs to their room and began changing out of their ruined clothing, in haste. Únik changed into the men's clothing, tucking her coin purse into the jacket, and Shihiri returned to her leathers. Hatyara, meanwhile, stared out of the window, watching the rush of people outside, racing towards where the man lay that Shihiri had killed first.

With hurried goodbyes to Arthid, they prepared to attempt leaving Shalbruk.

Únik hated simply leaving Arthid, but he assured them he would suffer no lasting problems. He had told anyone that would listen that he had only given travellers a courteous ride to the nearest town. That, and the baker had many friends in Shalbruk that would vouch for him, should the need arise.

Within minutes, they passed beyond the boundaries of Shalbruk, heading towards the tree line and some modicum of cover. After a good mile, or so, they paused to rest and to plan their next move. Hatyara, of course, advocated continuing north, towards the next town. The one with the bridge. Únik, however, had other ideas.

"Both our pursuers and anyone hunting us due to Shihiri's ... actions will look towards the north." She glanced at Shihiri, but the Fae did not appear to have a care in the world, examining the new sword she had taken from the body of the Ice-Kin man. "We have to think this through."

"That other town, Prarbruk, is the only way across the river for miles, Arthid said." Clinging to Barsa, Hatyara looked as though she were about ready to run at every sound. "We must return to Hagragng. I must fulfil my duty, as soon as possible."

"What are you thinking?" Ignoring Hatyara, as Shihiri often did, the Fae tucked the sword into her belt, facing Únik.

"The log barges. As we passed, I noticed some empty barges preparing to return up the river. If we can buy passage, I doubt anyone would think of looking for us there." Looking towards Shihiri, she saw the Fae girl make a slow nod of the head, chewing on the idea. "We have coin, now, though it won't last. I think it's worth a try."

"No. If we go back to the loggers and they refuse, we will have wasted a day's journey." Hatyara stood straight, setting her jaw. She believed the decision made. "We will rest a while longer and then continue north."

"The log barges it is, then." Already setting off towards the south, Shihiri patted Únik on the shoulder, winking. "We should reach them by nightfall."

"Wait! I said north!" Rushing to catch up, Hatyara imposed herself in front of Shihiri. "You have no say in this. Why are you still here, anyway? Go back to your children. You are no longer required."

Shihiri, not much taller than the Ice-Kin, loomed over Hatyara, staring deep into her eyes. Her fingers began to play with the pommel of her new sword, added to her bow, staff and knives as part of her weapons cache. Únik could almost feel the dislike pour from Shihiri as she stared down Hatyara.

"I stay, because Únik needs help to take you where you want to go, princeling. For her, not you." She stepped forward, causing Hatyara to retreat. "I stay because you have taken advantage of a good woman. Because you bring nought but arrogance and destruction wherever you go. Únik has no home, everything gone, because of you. I will not see her lose her life as well."