29

29

Hatyara's sister, Ylthara, stepped forward, eyes narrowed as though uncertain of what Únik could do. Únik understood that caution. Mages came in all shapes and sizes. Nothing could identify one until they tapped into the Essence, drawing upon the decomposing energies of the dead gods to create their magic. With a jerk of her chin, Ylthara sent her compatriots towards Barsa, who growled, teeth bared, at the people now surrounding him and Únik.

"Don't kill him! If you're not going to kill me, don't kill him, either!" Turning her head, she whistled to Barsa. "Barsa! Settle! Sit! Stay!"

The warriors moving towards Barsa stopped as the dog sat the instant Únik told him to. They turned eyes towards Ylthara, awaiting her orders, and Únik prayed that they wouldn't take the life of the only thing she had left. If they did, she would die with him. Her eyes fell to the spear she had tossed aside.

"Tie her up. Use nets on the dog." Ylthara sheathed her sword as a pair of warriors moved towards Únik. Turning, she looked out towards the forest. "Get the healer on those horses and anyone injured."

With her back to Únik, now, the leader of the pursuers stood with her hands upon her hips. A cloak, made of the same silk gauze as Hatyara's clothes, rippled in the wind, whipping about the woman's legs. She didn't look around as the two warriors took Únik by both arms, dragging her towards the larger group, where one rider stood, holding a length of rope.

Únik watched the entire group as her hands became bound before her and she saw them all move with practiced ease. Both Ice-Kin and Hagragng humans made up the party, six of one, six of the other, but it seemed clear Ylthara led them. One Ice-Kin moved between the horses, laying a hand upon those injured, healing the wounds inflicted upon them by whatever it was Hatyara had done.

Shards of ice still thrust up from the snow, sharp and brittle. Hatyara had never shown that power before and Únik could not understand why. Several times, along the journey, such a power could have aided them. Changed the course of their flight. Stopped so much suffering. Yet the Ice-Kin had kept it hidden from Únik and Shihiri. Únik couldn't help but feel a little betrayed by that.

Had Hatyara shown that power before, perhaps Únik's sled dogs would not have perished beneath the ice of the lake. The fight with the dire wolf would have ended far sooner and Barsa would not have suffered the injuries that still scarred his side. With that power, Hatyara and she could have evaded the men in Shalbruk without killing them. And, perhaps, Únik may not have had the death of a Patron on her hands.

"You can try to stop your sister reaching Star Harbour, but she will become the King's consort." Not even struggling against her bonds, Únik allowed the warriors to force her to her knees, snow compacting beneath her. "She will end the hostilities between Hagragng and Alharai."

"End the hostilities?" Ylthara turned towards Únik, then, stalking back to her, crouching and looking into Únik's eyes. "You don't know a Patrons damned thing."

With a shake of the head, Ylthara rose and moved away. She passed by every member of her party and every horse. She gave the people pats on the shoulder, checked the legs of the horses after the healer had ministered to them. Few words passed between any of them and Únik wondered what the Ice-Kin meant when she said Únik knew nothing.

Únik took a good look at the sister of Hatyara, as the Ice-Kin made her rounds. She seemed a lot taller than Hatyara, by at least a foot. Her face appeared tired and worn, her stature bigger and more muscular than the girl Únik had accompanied for so long. She didn't share that same air of entitlement, or arrogance that Hatyara showed and, by the way the others looked at her and spoke to her, Ylthara appeared to have the respect of her compatriots.