22

22

Hatyara insisted on changing into her normal, small, revealing Alharai clothing once they had reached the roof of the building. Únik couldn't blame her, jumping from roof to roof in the Uriok child's dress would prove more than difficult. But, as Shihiri jumped to the next roof, followed by Barsa, with Únik's urging, Únik couldn't help but watch the steady rise of the water threatening to swallow the entire city.

In her pantaloons, slippers and wraparound chest piece, Hatyara looked less like the child Únik still fought to stop considering her as. The silk gauze of her wide pantaloons rippled as Hatyara slung her bag over her head. She seemed as determined as any of them, now, despite her objections earlier.

On the other roof, Shihiri stood, legs braced, waiting to catch Hatyara as she reached the next rooftop. It was not dignified, in the least, but the Ice-Kin had made it, leaving only Únik to make the leap. She hesitated. She knew she wasn't built for this kind of exercise. Her larger body felt awkward and heavy as she stepped back to make the run.

Tired legs pumped as hard as Únik could muster and she launched herself across the gap between the buildings, her eyes widening as she glimpsed the rushing water passing beneath. After what felt like an eternity, she landed upon the other roof, caught by the welcoming arms of Shihiri, a grin upon the Fae's face. Barsa jumped around them in his excitement. The dog seemed to enjoy himself, even if Únik didn't.

"Not bad. Only a few more to go." Gripping the shoulders of Únik's jacket, Shihiri gave her a friendly shake before turning towards the next gap.

She made it look effortless. Taking a short run-up, the Fae launched herself across, landing as though stepping down from a staircase. She adjusted her bow across her back and rolled her hand, urging the others to follow.

They performed the same feat several more times and, with each leap, Únik could feel her tired legs complaining. She needed to rest, if only for a few minutes, but they did not have the time. The waters had reached the lips of the buildings, trickling across gravelled roofs, soon to be one, large lake and then they would be unable to see where they needed to jump next.

They had only two more buildings to cross and then only the wall, that Únik believed made by a Patron, to climb. The next gap was far wider than any of the others. Like most cities, the people of Pithnar built their streets close and tight, maximising space. Except this one. Únik gazed across a gap of almost seven feet and swallowed a fearful gulp.

"I'm not going to make that!" In her thin, cloth slippers, Hatyara stood at the edge, watching flood water rush past, almost overflowing onto the roof. They had already tossed their bags across and Hatyara focussed upon them. "What if I try to swim?"

"The current is too strong." Taking one of her precious few arrows from her quiver, Shihiri tossed it into the water and watched it carried away in a rush. It soon disappeared from sight. "Look, I know I was joking before, but Únik can throw you. I'll be down at the other end in case you miss and fall in. It's the only way, Ice-Kin."

"I just ... I don't want to be thrown." The bottom lip of Hatyara trembled. Únik could tell she feared crossing the gap. "Alright. But either of you say anything afterwards and you'll regret it!"

Stifling a grin, Shihiri glanced at Únik before turning without the slightest hesitation, ran and leaped across a gap that seemed like a chasm. She landed with almost two feet to spare, stumbling to a halt. Únik would never stop feeling amazed at the Fae's athleticism. Shihiri moved down to the other end of the building, ready to snatch Hatyara from the water if needed.

Únik sent Barsa across next. The hound made the leap, crashing against the lip of the roof, but managed to scramble up, shaking himself once safe. The dog turned and barked, as though urging Únik and Hatyara to follow.