44

44

The sound of boots running up the stairs came to Únik's ears as she stared at Hatyara's body. Such a beautiful girl. Woman. Now dead because of a twisted idea of seeking revenge for something that happened so long ago. Únik realised that, in her own way, she had caught herself in that cycle of revenge, too.

Not against her husband, or against anyone else that had done wrong by her, but against herself. She had forced herself into hiding to punish herself for her actions. For not protecting Thesik. For killing her husband. She had run away to the harshest of places, cutting herself off from the world in order that she could never again take another life. That punishment had failed.

Urgent, insistent voices passed her by and the sound of swords hacking into the ice fence barrier seemed to come from a great distance. The barrier fell and she lifted herself from the floor, moving as though in a dream towards Hatyara, passing King Vraniik as soldiers surrounded her, trying to remove the ice collar.

Lifting Hatyara's body, she grimaced at the sound of the spear passing through the Ice-Kin's flesh as she removed it and she carried her to a clear space in the room. Laying Hatyara's body down, she arranged her friend's hands across her body, covering the hole created by the spear, and brushed the Ice-Kin's white hair from her face.

She felt hands touch her shoulder and then someone kneeling beside her. Ylthara. After a few seconds, they turned to each other, wrapping their arms around each other and said nothing as they embraced. Únik could feel Ylthara's body shake as she sobbed, but no tears fell from Únik's eyes. She felt numb and lost.

"You have my thanks, 'Countess', and anything you ask is yours." King Vraniik laid her hand on Únik's shoulder. Turning her head, Únik saw a great sadness in the King's eyes. "You will understand if I say that a combined effort of brave Hagragng and Ūtharan warriors were the ones to save me. In the eyes of the people, we must appear united, for the benefit of both nations."

"I understand." Nodding, Únik's eyes fell, once again to Hatyara's body.

"Good." The King patted Únik's shoulder. "Prince Ylthara. Once you have recovered, we must speak in private."

Ylthara lifted herself to her feet, grasping Únik's hand one last time, wiping her eyes and cheeks. Looking upwards, Únik could see Ylthara's face harden as she changed her demeanour. As a Prince of Alharai, she knew well the need to put forward a brave face. An untroubled face, regardless of the circumstances. Yet, Únik could see the sadness lining her face.

"Of course, your Majesty." Taking a deep breath, Ylthara turned to look across the room. "Bohyiris. Arrange for my sister's body to be removed to the compound. She is still a Prince of Alharai and she will be treated accordingly."

"No-one will ever know it was your sister that caused this, Ylthara. You have my word." With a hand on her hip, Vraniik looked down at Hatyara's body, shaking her head. "Fanatics performed this action. Your sister's memory will remain pure."

With one last look at Únik, giving her an acknowledging nod, Vraniik strode away, returning to the grand hall, below, to arrange for repairs to the keep and consult with her counsellors. Únik didn't doubt that the King would have much to say to those counsellors and she almost felt pity for them. If they had urged caution to Vraniik long ago, none of this would have happened.

Returning to the Ūtharan compound took longer than she expected, walking arm-in-arm with Ylthara. They spoke no words to each other the entire way and Únik appreciated the silence as the day darkened into evening. The streets of Star Harbour had emptied during Hatyara and Shihiri's assault upon the keep, but now people began to trickle back onto the cobbles.