35

35

The hooves of their horses thundered upon the raised road as they charged out of the village. Snow still encroached over the edges, even at this time of the year where the Winter landscape would begin to recede, if only a little. Ylthara appeared determined that they would catch up to her sister on this day and put an end to the chase.

"How did the Lady Hatyara get so far ahead, anyway?" To the rear, one of the Ice-Kin warriors called over the sound of the horses. "We were there. We had her, right until that figure dragged her into the forest."

"It was because of the forest." Eyes fixed upon the road ahead, leaning over the neck of her horse, Ylthara shouted into the wind. "We had to go around. She cut off the corner. Not forgetting the Snow Wyrm."

That and that the 'figure' was Shihiri. A Fae that could travel through a forest as though running along a flat plain. Únik had not told Ylthara about Shihiri. In fact, she hadn't spoken much of her time running with Hatyara and Shihiri and Ylthara had not pressed her beyond a couple of questions. She had respected Únik's loyalty to her friends.

But that, alone, did not mean that Ylthara was the one speaking the truth. Even though it confused Únik, she could not decide to trust Ylthara because she appeared kind, nor distrust Hatyara because of her abrasiveness. Still, Únik's stomach tightened as she held the information to herself. She wondered if she would have kept her own counsel about Ylthara if she had run away with Shihiri, back to Hatyara.

She couldn't think of it. The fast pace of the hard ride had begun to sting her backside once more. She had not ridden the horse as fast as this, in the few days she had taken to riding, and it was yet another thing she had to become used to. After today, she may need the ministrations of Bohyiris once again.

"Up ahead! A forest across the road!" A Hagragng warrior pointed the way.

"We should go around." Her words almost became lost, caught and dragged away by the wind caused by their speed, but Ylthara heard and glanced towards Únik. "There could be bandits in the trees. More monsters. We should go around."

"We cannot." Without thinking, Ylthara slowed her horse. The Ice-Kin trusted Únik's word despite the feelings not reciprocated by Únik. "What aren't you telling us?"

Dropping her head, Únik tried to concentrate upon riding. She could feel the Ice-Kin's eyes fastened upon her and she wished she hadn't said anything at all. Shihiri had only left the village less than an hour before the pursuing party of Ice-Kin and Hagragng. There seemed little chance that she had returned to Hatyara and continued on in time.

If she knew Shihiri, the Fae would make a stand before running before horseback pursuers at this close a distance. People could die. Shihiri could die. Or Hatyara, or both. Únik could not bear it. Many strings of thought ran through her head. Thoughts of where her allegiances lay and she couldn't choose.

Slipping her feet from the stirrups, she did the only thing she could think of to pause the chase. When her back crashed upon the snow sprinkled road, she felt a bone break in her side. Shoed hooves passed her head by fractions of an inch. Horses jumped over her tumbling body and she felt sharp pain as her rib dug into her chest as she rolled.

Coming to a stop, battered, bruised and dizzy, she saw, through hazy vision, Ylthara drawing the party to a stop, a little down the road. Even as Únik attempted to sit up, Barsa racing to her side, fussing around her, she saw Ylthara return to her, patting her horse's neck as she looked down upon Únik, her eyes and lips narrowed. She said nothing, at first.

"Bohyiris. See to any injuries she has." The Ice-Kin's eyes never left Únik's as Bohyiris dismounted, moving towards Únik. "And then have her tied up."