23

23

The incessant rain continued to fall, yet the plaza had only a light covering of water. Únik looked around at the rain collecting in low troughs built into the stonework of the plaza's floor, water trickling along until it reached a metal grate where the excess water cascaded down into, what Únik assumed was, a sewer system.

"I think we're safe from the flooding. For now. This wall seems quite solid." Patting the wall, as though that mere action could give her an idea of the strength of the wall, Shihiri looked up and down the face of the edifice. "But, what now? Is this some kind of island within the city? Does this wall completely surround the temple? We don't have enough food to wait until the floods drain away."

"I don't know. Let's just take the respite for what it is." Únik had crouched down, releasing Barsa from the sling on her back and now had to suffer the excited licks of thanks against her face from the grateful hound. "For now, let's find somewhere dry before we decide what we do next. I don't think I have anything more to give."

"The temple. It's the only option, I'd say. Perhaps up in one of those bell towers?" With her brilliant white hair plastered to her face and bare shoulders, Hatyara stood with her hands upon her hips, surveying the area before her.

"And if the wall does break? If we're stuck in one of those bell towers, who knows when we could get out! We don't have enough food!" The small amount of camaraderie shared between Shihiri and Hatyara now seemed passed, the Fae frowning at the Ice-Kin. "If we go in the temple, we should stay close to the entrance, in case we need to run again."

"Run where?" Pointing a finger, tracing the long curve of the wall in the air, Hatyara reflected Shihiri's frown back at her. "I don't see any other buildings. No way through the wall. We're stuck here, either way!"

"Stop bickering." Únik didn't snap the words, but the two Other-Kin clamped their mouths closed. "We'll check the temple. That's all we can do, for now. I'm too tired for this."

Hauling her bag onto her back, Únik folded Hatyara's ruined dress, hanging it over her bag's straps in case they needed it again. With much effort, far too much, she began to trudge towards the temple. She could see a set of huge, towering double doors and she did not look forward to trying to push them open. If, indeed, they could open.

Taking delight in his freedom from the sling, Barsa ran ahead and Únik did not have the heart, or the strength, to call him back. He deserved a little leeway, running this way and that, his tail bobbing in the air behind him. At least he seemed ready to run if needed, even if Únik couldn't. Hatyara and Shihiri fell in behind and Únik could almost feel the renewed animosity emanating from them both.

Reaching the temple took longer than she expected and the size of both the building and the plaza surrounding it continued to astonish Únik. She hadn't seen a structure so large since the pyramids, though the workmanship of those paled in comparison to that of this temple that towered above them.

Each piece of stone seemed cut so well, there were no gaps between one and another. Intricate carvings, high above, showed scenes of war, of festivals, of worship to greater beings, almost untouched by the centuries and the weather. It seemed incongruous to the rest of the city, devastated, crumbling and worn, that this temple could stand, after so long, and look as though it were only constructed in recent years.

The huge double doors were as well made as the stonework, made from a deep, red wood that almost shined in the little light afforded by the clouded skies. As with the friezes upon the walls, the doors had carvings upon them showing penitent worshippers before the welcoming arms of their Patron, the Patron's symbol carved above them all.