34

34

Únik's eyes flickered in every direction she could see and found no-one within sight that could reach her in time, here at the outskirts of the town. Clenching her hands into fists, she considered her few options. Fighting wasn't part of those options, the knife pressed against her throat would kill her if she made the slightest move. The only thing she could do was talk.

"I don't want any trouble." Opening her fists, she tried to remain calm, glaring at Barsa for not warning her. "If it's money you want, you can have it."

"Ha! Money!" The knife moved away from her throat and she felt a hand push her forwards. "Who needs money? And trouble? You do nothing but get into it."

Stumbling, Únik stepped away and tried to turn in the same motion, only to find her mysterious attacker throwing their arms around her neck. With a hooded cloak over their head, Únik couldn't see their face and she gripped her attacker's shoulders to push them away. As she did so, she saw the flash of bark-like skin, white with specks and trails of black.

"Shihiri!" She changed the movement. Instead of pushing the Fae away, she dragged her back into her arms and clung to the girl for dear life. "Patrons! You could have killed me!"

"Not likely. I had the knife the other way around." They broke their embrace and Shihiri showed Únik the knife, running a finger down the flat, blunt edge. "Scared you for a minute there, though, didn't I?"

"You bloody idiot!" Once again, Únik dragged Shihiri back into her arms, burying her face into the Fae's shoulder. "You strange, wonderful, beautiful idiot!"

After a few seconds, Únik sniffed, pulling away from the Fae, then grabbed Shihiri by the shoulder, dragging her out of sight behind the stables. Once hidden, she spun the Fae around and stared at the grin on Shihiri's face. It felt as though they hadn't seen each other in so long, Únik didn't know what to say.

"I thought the dog was going to give me away." Tugging the hood of the cloak down, Shihiri dropped against the wall of the stable, sitting as she returned her knife to its sheath. "Apparently, the dog understands a finger to the lips."

"He's a clever dog. What are you doing here?" Scowling down at the Fae, Únik peeked around the corner of the stables, checking the small morning crowds. "Where's Hatyara?"

"She's safe. We found a cave in some hills in a forest, to the south. I've left her cooking a boar." Resting her hands upon raised knees, Shihiri nodded in a general direction. "I came to rescue you. Seems I didn't need to. How did you escape? I thought, for certain, you'd be dead, but Hatyara was convinced you were alive."

"I didn't escape." After another glance around the corner, Únik came to sit beside the Fae, dipping her head. "I'm riding with our pursuers."

She didn't want to tell Shihiri, but she didn't want to lie, either. If she was going to stop Hatyara and Ylthara killing each other, she would need all the help she could get. She felt Shihiri's arm reach across her shoulders, hugging her tight. Únik had expected a string of questions and accusations of treachery, but Shihiri only sighed.

Lifting her eyes, she saw a look of pity, or sympathy upon the Fae's face. A little, sad shake of the head. On the other side of the wall, Únik heard Barsa growl and a number of curses from the stable master. At least she could still depend on him to protect the horses.

"Hatyara said her sister was persuasive and sneaky. She's trying to get you onto her side." Slapping her knee with the other hand, Shihiri made Únik jump. "But, that's done! Come on. Let's get out of here. We're not far from Star Harbour. A few days and this will be all over."