33

33

Curling around the end of the mountains, they began to see signs of civilisation. Farms dotted the snow covered landscape, with wide open fields filled with cattle, sheep and goats. A road appeared, raised up to alleviate travelling through the snows, that weaved a lazy trail towards the coast and Star Harbour.

Únik had started getting used to riding, though she doubted she would ever become comfortable atop a horse. Last night, Bohyiris hadn't even had to heal her aching backside, as he had done for several nights. Ylthara had kept up steady streams of conversations with them all, but never pushed Únik to choose a side. Her, or her sister, Hatyara.

It was as though Ylthara could tell the quandary the two sisters had left Únik in. Únik appreciated that. Hatyara, despite her abrasive nature, had shown Únik what it was like to have a friend and now, Ylthara did the same. One or the other manipulated Únik, however. One lied about their intentions and nothing Ylthara had done could decisively change that question. She was friendly, but friendly people could hide their true selves.

Every morning and evening, Ylthara would take the time to meditate, holding the star-shaped pendant, until she almost collapsed in exhaustion, stating which direction Hatyara now headed. Únik had watched her every time, seeing the sadness and the pain it brought and, in recent attempts, Ylthara's hand would reach behind her neck to her brand.

"How does that work?" Still riding stiff-backed, Únik held the reins in a more natural position, now, keeping pace with Ylthara. "You sit and think for a while and know where Hatyara is. I've never heard magic like it."

"It's old magic. Lost after the last Upheaval, recovered by father after many years of searching." Looking across, Ylthara saw Únik's questioning look. "No, he didn't say everything in his last words, only that Hatyara had Ice Magic, that she would kill Vraniik and make them pay. Everything else, we found in his journals."

"This 'Ice-bound promise', though, it causes you pain, but not Hatyara." Únik saw Barsa bounding back to the line of horses upon the road, snow trapped atop his nose. She had allowed him far more free rein than usual on this part of the journey. "Or, at least, she never showed it."

Ylthara's hand rose to her neck, without thinking, and touched the brand. Her fingers flinched as though the slightest touch stung and Únik noticed the brand looked a little inflamed. She looked around, seeing Bohyiris behind, and raised an eyebrow to him. He shook his head, frowning. He could do nothing for Ylthara.

"The court mages ... adapted the magic. I am bound to Hatyara's binding, by way of the branding iron itself." Taking the chain and pendant from inside her armour, Ylthara held it before her eyes. Her fingers closed around the pendant before returning it. "My promise is to stop Hatyara from killing King Vraniik, the pain reminds me that I am failing. The closer she gets to fulfilling her promise, the more painful my brand becomes."

"That's horrific." Eyes flickering towards Ylthara's neck, Únik almost whispered to herself.

She couldn't imagine putting herself through that. Whether Ylthara had told the truth and she wanted to stop Hatyara to keep the peace, or to kill Hatyara to break that peace, causing herself pain to facilitate either seemed too extreme. Though Ylthara's connection meant she knew where Hatyara was, it seemed to make it worthwhile for the Ice-Kin Storm Mage.

Regardless, Únik had made it her goal, her promise, if you will, that she would do everything in her power to stop the sisters killing each other. It seemed pathetic in comparison. A quest to save two lives, as opposed to the fate of two nations, but it was all that Únik could do. She had no other reason to remain with Ylthara and her reduced company of warriors.