36

36

The snow hindered their progress, growing thicker as they raced around the edge of the forest. Ylthara had tried to keep a constant dance of little whirlwinds to clear away the deeper drifts, but it seemed obvious the continuous channeling of Essence had started to exhaust her. The Ice-Kin's body shook with the exertion and she slumped in her saddle more the further they travelled.

Nearing the far side of the forest, Ylthara fell against her horse's neck, almost falling from the saddle and only her fierce determination helped her to dig her knees in tight, gripping the reins for dear life. Bohyiris called to his leader, more than once, to take a rest. She only stopped pushing her horse when Únik urged her horse forward, reaching out an awkward hand to grasp the reins of Ylthara's horse.

"You must rest!" Únik saw the stretched, tired features of Ylthara and expected her to shrug away Únik's hand.

"I cannot." The Ice-Kin's head bobbed and flopped as Ylthara attempted to regain her strength. "Too much depends on stopping her. So many lives. The fate of ..."

Without realising it, Únik's hand snapped outwards once more, catching Ylthara before she toppled from the saddle. Within seconds, several warriors had dismounted, reaching Ylthara and lowering her from the horse. Bohyiris fell to a knee beside her, his hand resting upon her forehead.

"I told her! I warned her! She's not powerful enough to channel this much Essence. She'll burn herself out!" Laying Ylthara down upon a bed of cloaks provided by the other warriors, Bohyiris glanced towards Únik. "If you hadn't stopped her, I think ... It doesn't matter. Thank you."

Únik couldn't say anything. She didn't understand why Ylthara listened to her and not her own people. She only knew that she couldn't let the Ice-Kin injure herself any more than she already had. Not physical injuries, but mental and spiritual. She gripped Barsa's collar as the hound showed concern for the unconscious Ice-Kin.

They had travelled for the the entire day and into the night, Ylthara pushing them all and their horses as fast as she could, taking only the shortest of rests and only then for the benefit of the horses. Each time they had stopped, Ylthara had sat, holding her star-shaped brand pendant, and meditated, shaking her head each time.

By the time Ylthara awoke once more, her blue skin darkening beneath the bloodshot, almost whiteness of her eyes, a fire had become started and the party had settled down. Most had fallen asleep as soon as their bodies touched the ground. Bohyiris had lasted longer, knelt beside Ylthara, until even his chin drooped upon his chest.

Only Únik remained awake to see those pale eyes flicker open. She held Ylthara down as the Ice-Kin attempted to rise. At first, Ylthara fought against Únik, but her small body, as muscular as she was, could not match Únik's greater weight. After a few seconds, she stopped resisting, her head falling back upon the cloaks, her hand clasping Únik's.

"How long?" The Ice-Kin looked up into the black, cloudless sky, pinpoints of light from the stars sparkling above.

"Almost two hours, I'd say. Maybe longer." Pushing Barsa away as the dog fussed around Ylthara, Únik moved further aside, allowing more heat from the fire to reach the Ice-Kin. "You're going to end up killing yourself at this rate. Why the greater urgency now?"

Ylthara's other hand reached towards her chest, clutching the place where the star-shaped pendant nestled against her breasts. After a few seconds, she turned her head towards Únik, taking her eyes away from the stars. She looked as though she held herself back from answering, as though Únik's actions earlier had removed Ylthara's trust of her.

"Somehow, she is moving faster. I don't know how, but she is." The hand holding Únik's gripped tighter and her eyes widened. "I can't let her reach Star Harbour, Únik! I can't! If she gets there before us, all is lost."