39

39

Únik quailed at the entrance to the banqueting hall, fingers of one hand clutching at the skirts of her dress, the other clenched as Ylthara linked arms with her, awaiting their announcement. She looked down at that dress, a mixture of the lightest cotton and silk, it almost shimmered in deep blues and and hints of black. From the hips down, the dress fell straight, pleated and almost kissing the immaculate floor with the hem.

Were it not for the dainty shoes upon her immense feet, she felt the dress would drag along the floor collecting dust as she moved. From the hips upward, the dress clung to every curve of her body, ending in a high, ruffled neck that itched at her throat. She felt like a fool, and she knew she was a fraud, in front of all these people. The cream of nobility and she, a scavenger that felt happy with her hands in the guts of whales.

"Stop fidgeting! Relax!" The whisper was for Únik's ears alone. Ylthara leaned closer, their shoulders touching as she gazed around the room. "Act as though you own the place and you pity every one else and you'll fit right in."

"Someone will notice. Someone will find out and then I'll be gaoled for impersonating the nobility." Her feet shuffled beneath her dress as she considered turning and running. "I'm a pig among eagles."

"You are beautiful and if I hear you say different again, I'll have you whipped, you peasant." Ylthara felt Únik stiffen at those words and chuckled, dropping her head upon Únik's shoulder. "I'm jesting with you! But, in all honesty, you are beautiful. Now, head high. Look as though you can smell something rotten."

"Prince Ylthara, daughter of Ūlassiara of the Ūtharan nation of Alharai, and her escort, Lady Únik, Countess of Uriok." The announcer read their names from a scroll and Únik stiffened once again.

Ylthara began to stride forward, tugging at Únik's arm as she entered the banqueting hall. If Únik had counted, she doubt she would have reached less than one hundred pairs of eyes turning to stare at the couple as Ylthara floated like a leaf upon the wind into the hall.

She looked like a vision, her hair teased and twisted and plaited into a work of art that sat upon her head, causing her to appear several inches taller. She wore a delicate piece of Valka silk material, colours coruscating along its entire length. A single, long piece of cloth, wrapped around and around Ylthara's body, the layers hiding what the silk would show with only one layer. The wraparound outfit ended, pinned by an intricate brooch designed with the Alharai coat of arms, the other end falling over Ylthara's other arm.

Únik need not have feared the looks of these nobles, for they had eyes only for Ylthara and Únik could understand why. She entranced everyone that saw her, causing hushed whispers to travel from one end of the hall to the other. If any had seen her only a day before, filthy through travelling, hair in a simple ponytail, battered and dirty leather armour, they would not have recognised her at all.

They passed dozens of people, Ylthara dipping her head in greeting so many times, she looked like a chicken picking at its feed and the surrounding nobles reciprocated with deep bows and eyes that never left Ylthara's ice-blue face.

Holding her own head lowered, Únik tried her best to stop her face from flushing, but the more she tried, the hotter her cheeks became. Any hotter and she doubted the hall would need the hundreds of candles and lanterns that brightened the place so much, it felt like a cloudless Summer's day.

"See, it's not so bad, is it?" Tightening her arm around Únik's, Ylthara tried to comfort her. "I can guarantee you, none of these people will remember either of us in less time than it takes to turn their heads. A more shallow group of people you will never meet."