Chapter Fifteen: Hi, Dad, I'm Home

Dr. Weahagu blinked in a quick manner as if he had been slapped across the face, then he sighed in a deep way as if he was disappointed in me for showing up. I waited for what felt like eons for him to scream at me for endangering the pack or something, but he did something else instead: he beckoned for me to have a seat as if I was just another client he was working on. I obeyed with a sigh of relief, since my legs were screaming in pain from running. My cleats clacked as I hurried for a seat. I was glad to be sitting down after a long run. Then he stroked my fur, whispering, "How did you know I was your alpha? I could easily have been a rogue werehog that would have harmed you."

I stared at Dr. Weahagu and replied, "You can't mask your scent from me, sire. That first night I spent as a werehog... I memorized your scent. And no alpha has ever 'gone rogue.' They are usually the ones banishing the rogue ones." I shifted my weight in an uncomfortable manner as I thought about my answer, subconscious about the fact that I was covered in fur and that I was probably terrifyingly to stare at. I kept my gaze fixed on my alpha as he continued walking around me and circling me as if I was an exhibition of a gorgeous creature that went extinct. "Sire, you're not mad that I found you, right? Did I do something bad?" I asked, my voice graveled. Dr. Weahagu... I mean Sonic, was silent for once.

I could hear a heart beating since it was that quiet. I couldn't bear it anymore. I was about to say something when Sonic replied, "Yes. I see that you have studied the werehog hierarchy well. Since you are one of my daughters, you will be ruling together." He continued stroking my fur as if I was a giant cat, then he paused for a moment to scratch my ear. I let my foot thump from the pleasure of being scratched behind the ear. He glanced at my shoes and remarked, "Dear, your shoes are very different from your first transformation into a werehog. Did you wear high heels during your transformation or did your shoes did that on their own?"

I glanced at my new platforms and felt even more subconscious about my current height. Sonic never made a remark about my height before, not even as a hedgehog. I felt my muzzle flush, and I muttered, "Maybe. Can I go home now? Back to STH Academy?" Sonic froze, then he nodded. I felt something sting my back, and I was out cold within seconds. The last thing I see is my Alpha transforming back into a werehog.

~~~~~

After a dreamless sleep, I wake up on the floor. I stumbled to my feet and observed my surroundings. The area I was in was kind of cramped, but I didn't mind that much. I have been in tighter places before. I glanced around and found my Alpha gazing at me with a piercing stare. I yawned, then I addressed him in a cordial tone, "Hello, Sire."

He replied, his graveled voice just a soft purr, "Good evening, darling. Glad to see you wake up from your nap." We stared at each other for a moment in silence. Then he reached over to hug me and I let out a warning growl. He snarled back, "Don't be like that with me." His fangs gleamed as he spat this. My fur was raised as his green eyes glared at me. His muzzle was a mask of rage but I can clearly see another emotion. I blinked, wondering if my eyes were playing tricks on me. Is that... sympathy in his eyes? I wondered, squinting to get a better view. I still kept my fighting stance, just to be safe.

I pointed out, my fur raised, "I had spent a week with a monster that would kill you with a hug... literally, sire. So... I am a little skittish about being hugged right now." I added this part with embarrassment in my tone. My ears went flat with humiliation as I said this. Stupid. Don't make excuses for yourself! He wanted to welcome you back and you've acted quite rude to him! I scolded myself.  His tufted ears were laid back in shame as he gave me a comforting pat on the back. I apologized, "Sorry. But I think that the hugging thing needs to wait until the next full moon." Then I grabbed him and gently rubbed my nose against his. He froze for a second before returning the nose rub. I was finally able to relax now that I am done worrying about getting my face eaten... Or my children's. I added to myself, reminding myself on why I was trapped at Playtime in the first place.

Then I felt pain in my body. It felt like a charley horse, but somehow it was all over my body. I groaned and glanced outside. I noticed that the sun was rising. My fur shrank away and I felt weaker than a newborn kitten. I blinked, then I noticed that my gloves were on my hands. I turned to Sonic to see that he was straightening himself. I guess that he finished his transformation back into a hedgehog. He yawned, and that was when the exhaustion hit me. I glanced at Sonic and muttered, "Hi, Dad. I'm home."

Sonic whispered, his eyelids heavy from last night, "Morning, Ali." Then his green eyes flew open as he realized who he was talking to. "Ali! You're home!" He yelled, wrapping his arms around me and swinging me. I never thought I would see Sonic this overjoyed in my life. He whispered in a giddy way, "When did you get here? Tell me everything about your escape!" He scooped me in his arms and ran me to the kitchen.

I told him that I arrived this morning before dawn and I told him a long, winding story about how I vanquished the evil toys and I added a few Home Alone traps to keep things spicy. Sonic was silent and seemed very engrossed in my story. His gloved hands were folded, his emerald green eyes were latched onto me, and he rested his muzzle on his hands like a scholar. The story ended with me shooting some exploding arrows at the door and blowing it open and a rescue helicopter sending down a ladder. Sonic was silent for what felt like an eternity. He finally asked, "If that's what truly happened, then where is your disguise ring?"

I froze in horror at his question. I realized that in the midst of my story, I forgot one crucial detail: I put my ring in my pocket. I placed my hand in my pocket and I felt my hand close around the ring. Phew. That could have ended in disaster. I thought, pulling it out. I replied, "I pulled it off before attempting my escape but put it on before the helicopter showed up. I just took it off when I got here."

Sonic appeared to be skeptical. He replied sarcastically, "How did you get here?"

I shrug, telling him that I have no clue how I got here. I knew that I was lying to Sonic, and I hated feeling like a con. I know why Sonic kept the werehog a secret. I might as well keep it a secret from him, too. I rationalized to myself, praying that Airalain wasn't reading my mind.