Chapter 1

A chawl in Mumbai....

"AAH!" A girl yelled out as she was being hit with a stick. "Im sorry...Im sorry. Pls maf kardo Chotima."

"Dont you dare! Im not your chotima samjhi?" The woman snarled as she pulled the girl by her hair. "You will call me Kamya madam...kya bulaugi?"

"K..K..Kam..ya...Ma..dam." The girl stammered.

"Good girl..aur haan, aaj maaf kar rahi hoon lekin if you ever enter my room without permission again....toh tange tod dungi teri!" 

"NANDINI! Kaha mar gayi tu!" An elderly woman called out. Kamya gave the girl, Nandini a look and motioned for her to go.

"Ja....Maaji bula rahi hai tujhe." 

Nandini slowly got up, closing her eyes in pain and walked out of the room. 

"Aa gayi maharani." The elderly woman who was Nandini's Dadi, Madhuri Gupta taunted. "Nashta kya teri maari hui Ma aa ke banayegi?"

Nandini looked down with tears in her eyes.

"Tu toh hospital ke liye nikal jayegi aur mere Raghav ko bhukha kaam pe bhi jaana hoga.....jaa jaldi jaake nashta bana!" Madhuri Yelled. Nandini nodded and ran into the kitchen. She quickly made some roti and sabji and set the breakfast table. Madhuri & Kamya sat at the table and soon Raghav Gupta also joined. Nandini stood in the corner of the room while the Guptas ate and the Raghav stood up.

"Ma....mujhe jaana hoga. Important meeting hai aaj." Raghav informed his mother. "Arshirvaad do."

Madhuri blessed him and as he started leave Nandini gathered her courage and called for him. "P..P..Papa..."

Raghav turned and glared at her. "Manhus kahi ki....zaroori kaam ke liye jaa rahi thi kyun bulaya?"

"Pa...pa...main...main..."

"Main main karti rahegi kya kuch bolegi bhi?" Raghav yelled. Nandini flinched at his voice.

"Woh...iss mahine ki rent..."

"Ae ladki! Uske liye inko piche se kyun rokha? Mujhe de!" Kamya snatched the cash from Nandini and started counting it. Raghav just rolled his eyes and left and soon Nandini also left for the hospital. She got in a taxi and rode all the way to Faith Hospital, just before she entered she made sure her sleeves covered the bruises on her arm and put on her best happy face.

"Hey hey Girly!" A girl came over and hugged her from the side. "You are late today."

"Haan...woh utne mein deri ho gayi." Nandini lied. Her friend just gave her a look like she knew she was lying. "Seriously Rids...the alarm clock didnt ring on time so thats why."

"Hmm...if you say so. Anyways Dr Nyonika is waiting for us...chal." Riddhima grabbed Nandini's arm causing her to hiss in pain. "Nandini are you okay?"

"Im fine...kuch nahi hua."

"They hit you again hai na?" Riddhima asked. Nandini shook her head and Riddhima just pulled her sleeve up revealing the black and blue bruises. "Why? Why do you put up with this Nandini? If you wont say anything then let me...Ill tell someone and those monsters will be punished!"

"NO!" Nandini stopped Riddhima. "No Rids dont...pls dont. If I complain then things will just be 100 times worse for me."

"But-"

"Please! For me...dont say anything....Please!" Nandini begged. Riddhima had no other choice but to agree. The girls then went to the main reception area where a woman was waiting with some other interns.

"Dr Nandini, Dr Riddhima...You two are late." The woman, Dr Nyonika stated.

"Im sorry Dr Nyonika, it was my fault." Nandini apologized. "Phirse nahi hoga."