Chapter 25

9th Month of Pregnancy

Manik & Nandini were home alone. The rest of the family had gone to a neighbourhood function but since Nandini was so pregnant and also wasn't feeling too well, Manik stayed back with her.

"Manik...mujhe kuch meetha khaane ka mann kar raha hai." Nandini told him.

"Umm.... Nichey kitchen mein kuch jalebi rakhe....woh chalega?" Manik asked.

"Yes! Jaldi jaldi lao!" Nandini squealed in delight.

"Haan Haan....abhi laaya." Manik laughed. He quickly went downstairs to get the jalebi while Nandini waited in their room impatiently. "MANIK! JALDI AAO NA!!"

"COMING JAAN!" Manik called back from the kitchen.

A few more minutes passed.

"MANIK! MUJHE AAJ HI KHAANA HAI!"

"I KNOW I KNOW....YEHI PE TOH RAKHA THA I SWEAR I SAW IT YESTERDAY!"

"MA-AAAAH!" Nandini suddenly yelled out in pain clutching her stomach.

"MIL GAYA! IM COMING!" Manik shouted completely unaware.

"MAAANNIIKK!" Nandini cried out.

"Im here Im here!" Manik ran in with a smile, holding a plate of jalebis. He saw Nandini in tears. "Yaar...itna meetha khaane ka mann tha ki rone lag gayi? Koi baat nahi...ab khaa lo."

"You...." Nandini grabbed the jalebis and chucked it at Manik's face. "Stupid...idiot! MUJHE LABOR PAINS HO RAHA HAI!"

"WHAATTTTTTT!" Manik stood there frozen, dropping the plate. Nandini was trying to breathe in & out like the doctor had taught her but just seeing her husband standing there was making her angry.

"MANIK MALHOTRA GET TO THE DAMN HOSPITAL RIGHT NOW VARNA I SWEAR MAIN TUMHE GOLI MAR DUNGGIIIIII!" Nandini screamed.

"Haan! Haan.....hospital! Hospital!" Manik turned left and then right....and then left again as if not sure what to do.

"Call -aahhh!.......the...... ambulance!"

"AMBULANCE! Yes! YES!" Manik nodded fast. He again looked around. "Phone kaha hai mera?"

"MANIK TUMHARA POCKET! AAHHH!!!!"

"RIGHT! Of course..." Manik nervously took out his phone but he was shaking so much it slipped from his hand and fell under the bed. Manik & Nandini both looked at it and then each other. If looks could kill....Manik was for sure a dead man. "Main leke jaata hoon...gadi mein!"

"AAHHH! JALDIIIIII MANIK!" Nandini screamed in pain. Manik scooped her up and ran downstairs to his car. He placed her in the passenger seat & then ran to his side. Starting the car, Manik started driving to the hospital as fast as he could. Nandini has gasping & yelling out in pain.

"You'll be ok Jaan...kuch nahi hoga. Just breath in...and out...in....an-"

SMACK!

Manik blinked at Nandini stunned as she slapped him across the face.

"WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE IM DOING??? STOP SAYING STUPID STUFF AND DRIVVEEEE!!!"

"Yes Ma'am." Manik squeaked out. Finally they reached the hospital and Nandini was taken into the delivery room. Manik stood beside her and stroked her hair while she lay in the bed and the nurses ran here & there preparing things.

"THIS-AAH! IS ALL YOUR FAULT! I HATE YOUUUU! AAHHHH!" Nandini yelled out.

"Shhh....shant ho jao....calm down....shant...." Manik tried to comfort her but that just annoyed Nandini more.