7 | Just End of the World Things

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Elrond Peredhel | Lord of Rivendell

Location: Sanctum Sanctorum, New York City, USA, Earth

Time: August 2027

- A Few Weeks ago in Middle Earth Time -

Today had been uneventful compared to yesterday. Yesterday...all Elrond could explain to his future self would be the fact that spending a day with his supposed mother-in-law was both terrifying and amazing at the same time.

Amazing that she was perhaps one of the most (and mayhap the most) compassionate and honest women he ever met.

And terrifying because she was fiercely protective and chaotic as her adopted daughter.

It amused Elrond that despite not even an ounce of blood related to her, both Darcy Lewis and Illyria Strange held equal amounts of their character. Combined? He could boldly state that not even Mithrandir or Saruman could counter a storm such as Darcy and Illyria when it comes to protecting the people they loved.

Equally as protective as they were, came Stephen Strange, a man whom he had to thank once more for saving his life. Of course, it had been the doctors and surgeons who saved his life – though had the Sorcerer Supreme of Earth instantly placed him into his former hospital and colleagues, Elrond's body would be on Earth and his fëa would be swimming somewhere in the unknown.

Though as this uneventful day commence, so did it give Elrond time to rest again. His stomach still was healing, faster than humans but slower than most elves. The Sanctum Sanctorum of New York was something he had yet to fully appreciate, reminding him of the buildings back in Oxford though with incredibly different interiors. It was similar to Kamar-Taj, with dark wooden palette colours and rooms and open plans of glass cases, books, and cabinets.

Darcy Lewis was needed back at work supposedly, offering her free consultancy to run research with certain scientists of her expertise whilst helping with Illyria, Harley and Fëanor's project. His sons were, to his surprise, given free reign to explore this modern world. Elrond had rose his eyebrows towards his wife, wondering if that would be the most sensible thing to do.

Illyria simply shrugged her shoulders, smiling with a slight assurance that the twins would behave and that she had Harley Keener keeping a close eye on the two, no matter where they were in the world.

The most sensible thing Elrond could do was just agree. One thing he learnt about being married was that a wife's instinct was always correct in these things.

They ended up mostly reading in one of the extensive library spaces, with him laid back upon the end of the velvet lounger, legs safely propped up by the footstool Illyria conjured. Propped up with his legs, his wife's head laid on his right, hands holding a book above her. With her hair unbraided for once, it splayed out like rivers of silver over him, now blended with her natural golden tint coming from the top of her scalp. As the summer rays passed through the circular windows, it graced her focused face at such an angle, highlighting how the blueness now sparkled instead of the eerie glow in Imladris. And by the steady rising of her chest, her relaxed posture might as well ease him throughout it all.

Because since arriving here, he knew Illyria Strange had been stressed ever since. Her guilt and worry all bundled up, continuously being knotted and tied together.

Elrond knew she still had it, though just hiding it at this time much like his own negative emotions and thoughts. His fears of and worries about what was going on in Arda. What happened in Imladris. His daughter and Aragorn...