8 | Family Dinners

8 | Family Dinners

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Elrond Peredhel | The Lord of Rivendell

Location: Imladris, Middle Earth, Arda

Time: March 2981 T.A

Elrond Peredhel was many things. And strictly speaking on how his city was known as the Last Homely House of the East: he would resolve such tensions in his way.

Which was gathering the Fëanorian brothers and his close friends and family to dinner.

Quite a lot of people could say that was the worst idea the Lord of Rivendell has ever produced. But what else could Elrond do other than suggest making them sit down and talk about their problems? One did not need to be smart to know that it was dangerous to have a Fëanorian gathering where they were forced to show their emotions.

But with dinners: dinners came with food. And food meant hoping a lot of them would begin talking about their favourite dishes or remembering fond memories of eating with family and friends.

Elrond had them in the family dining room, with him at one end whilst Illyria sat on his immediate left and Maedhros on his right. He knew it wouldn't be wise to bring Glorfindel in, especially with tensions between Illyria and him with what occurred. Instead, he hoped that his good brother was spending some more time with Erestor, perhaps having their own dinner plans that could build more of what had happened.

They had the table filled with a moderate amount of food for all of them. He knew easily how to ration food and yet keep the finery of the dishes for such an occasion. Though Illyria's advice to keep things as simple had allowed him to keep it such as that. Their dinners back in Oxford were like this, even with her parents when he and their twin sons visited New York. It was homely and comforting, and he had hoped it would be like that here as well.

They tucked into the meal, hearing them begin to eat as he glanced about. Illyria was eating better now, though still a little pale and slow with her portion but there was an improvement. He was proud during what was technically the morning that Illyria had managed to finish her breakfast, after seeing her mention how full she was when they dined in his rooms.

Their rooms. Elrond had missed the thought of that, with centuries spent sleeping alone.

And with the glance over the table, there was a silent awkwardness at the beginning before everyone became overly too tempted by the food and dug in. His wife was talking quietly to the red-haired Fëanorian sitting beside her, one of the twins who was commenting on what sort of food they ate back on Earth.

The other twin on the other hand sat opposite his own, taking a bite of some baby potatoes they had stocked throughout the winter.

Amrod, the one who he had been looking began to speak – a voice of thankfulness and a nod towards him. "I must say this is a surprise, thank you Lord Elrond for this." His green eyes held a slight amusement as he commented, "A family reunion."

Opposite him and two seats from Amras, the platinum-haired ellon made a noise, causing a few eyes to glance at him. "Sad that Atto cannot be here," Celegorm said in a blank voice. He continued to eat, swallowing his food before he sarcastically added, "Though I suppose he does not wish to greet his children."

There was a moment of silence as Elrond tightened, his eyes warily looking down the table as some noticed one of their brothers had stabbed their food a little too violently.