32 | Of Songs, Maps & Symbols

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Arwen Undómiel | The Evenstar

Location: Minas Tirith, Gondor, Middle Earth, Arda

Time: April 2981 T.A

Nothing sets the bar low than simply wading, a foot deep, in murky water inside a tunnel.

Not that she would openly complain, of course.

Arwen experienced her fair share of grime and mud in the last four months, and the sewage-like passageway was far from the dirt, soot, and blood of a battlefield and a fortress.

At least at that point, she didn't have to tell which one was the other, for the foul stench hit her nose as soon as they entered the underpasses of the mountain and into the sections of the city.

It was almost five days since they left Edoras, with her heart left behind as it fell and broke for her family and friends. The feeling was worse than when she and Boromir parted with Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli. As for now, she realised wherever she was going she could not turn back and run to those who would miss her. The bittersweet farewell between her brothers, sensing the frustrated anger in Elladan's face whilst smiling sadly upon the sorrows of Elrohir.

Even when they were apart: Arwen believed deeply that they would be thinking of her. Just as they all did for their mother and father, and their uncles and those they loved also.

And Aragorn...

She could not dare think of it.

The guilt was eating it with every dragging step they took.

If they arrived (or managed to) at the top of the city: all that would be left of her was a hollow shell before she could even take that step into the unknown.

But then she remembered once more, the words which Mithrandir spoke to her back all those months ago. All she could do was shut her eyes again, suppressing the aching feeling which crept upon her chest.

Perhaps there was another saying she needed to remind herself of a certain Ithron.

To follow her nose instead of wallowing.

She really hoped these were not sewage tunnels, or else she would either be scowling back at Boromir for putting up with such conditions or rather forcing her way through a dozen orcs. At least then orc blood would be better than unknown liquids. What was really on the top of her mind was actually how a certain Gondorian Captain knew of these tunnels.

"You said this was the secret way into the city?"

Arwen – despite it being too dark for such conditions – raised an eyebrow as the walls surrounding them were almost as close to her body by almost a foot long. The size did help to push through by holding onto the walls, but the more she felt it damp, the more she questioned how it even came to be flooded despite being at the bottom of the mountain. It only rained for a few days since they arrived and perhaps it continued to do so.

She heard Boromir reply with a slightly embarrassed tone.

"It was bigger than I imagined."

There was a snort that came from Tazhin's thoughts and she couldn't help but bit back a smile.

At the same time, Pippin had then commented that he didn't find it as small, causing Boromir to let out a sigh whilst Arwen grinned even more. Thankfully it was dim enough for the Gondorian Captain to not see the amusement.