10 | The Breaking of the Vantarëa

10 | The Breaking of the Vantarëa

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Maedhros Feanorion | The Red Wolf

Location: Forlond, Lindon, Middle Earth, Arda

Time: March 2981 T.A

Leaving Imladris had been a smooth transition. 

The majority of Elrond's host remained, with those under Glorfindel's orders to come with their Lord and Lady of Rivendell as well as the Lord of the House of the Golden Flower. Those who remained, Maedhros knew, would protect the valley, and allow the city to continue recovering. Considering now that the risk from Saruman was gone, their focus was to keep those from Eriador safe.

It was why, despite the displeasure of his brothers, the Ambarussa would spend some time scouting Eriador and the outskirts of the Shire. Caranthir was hesitant but silently obliged, assured by Amrod and Amras that they'd have each other's backs whilst they were acting as temporary rangers.

As for the Fëanorian host, they were all heading back despite it being a quick meeting with his uncles and his cousins. He didn't like it, but Maglor's suggestion had him tempted. Perhaps if he could learn whatever Maglor and Glorfindel could do, there may be a chance for them to live through the final battle. Just like how Illyria was going south with Maglor.

However, before they would be going, Maglor and Illyria would return with him to Earth for some extra business. He wasn't sure exactly what it was though he remained quiet and trusted him enough that he knew what he was doing.

They portaled everyone through, the Fëanorian host getting ready to return to their temporary homes and places throughout Mithlond and Forlond. When they were all there, Elrond and Illyria decided they would meet with Círdan, Gil-Galad and Celebrían whilst he, Celegorm and Caranthir would head to Forlond with most of their hosts.

Glorfindel had decided to come with them, despite Celegorm and Caranthir's suspicion and Maedhros remained neutral between them all. Glorfindel must have known and just remained in his natural self, too optimistic as he told Maedhros that he would do all he could to push his uncles to agree to help.

Though Maedhros didn't need that assurance. He knew already, despite certain doubts of some people, their plan would work. He believed in those he trusted longer than knowing the Balrog Slayer himself. He had complete faith in Elrond, his foster nephew showing more confidence in himself despite the drawbacks since the battle of Imladris. Perhaps it was the encouragement of Maglor or the closeness between him and Illyria.

Even then, Maedhros knew he had passed the work in good hands.

The other pair was the one who he had been nervous to confront ever since they had left each other at such a devastating meeting. But he buried that reunion in his head as he stood in front of the door, taking a deep breath to calm himself.

'You could do this, Maitimo.' He thought to himself, exhaling. 'Remember what Darcy spoke of. He will understand and he will never judge you for things you have done.'

His knuckles hit the white-painted door in three consecutive knocks.

Maedhros' spine tightened when he heard his muffled voice order him to enter.

He didn't realise the door had opened, his hand still up in a fist when he looked slightly down at his grey eyes.

Fingon's mouth was parted slightly, his voice breathless as he spoke, "You have returned." His eyes lit up as he smiled amusedly at him. "Word of your victory was rather quick."