Chapter 42

Addison waved at Jordan and made her way to the courtyard, making a beeline for the nearest bus stop. She passed the parking lot and frowned as she realised how the Fiat was still there, with the owner nowhere about.
She wanted to wait to see what he looked like, but it was almost time for the bus. Addison had no choice but to leave.
'Eh, what the heck,' Addison shrugged. 'We live in the same house anyway...'
So she just took the bus and went to the convenience store.

"Yo!" Jeff greeted enthusiastically, though he looked like a zombie.
"Do you like wait for me or something?" Addison asked, amused at how he greeted her.
"Of course," Jeff shrugged. "How else am I supposed to leave work if you don't arrive?"
"You've got a point," Addison chuckled. "By the way, why do you look like a zombie again? What time did you sleep last night?"
"I'm honestly not sure," Jeff frowned, shrugging. "I didn't see the time. Anyway, I have high hope that I'm gonna ace this assignment."
"Why, because I helped you?" Addison smirked, making her way towards the snack section.
"Yeah, and also because the experiment went really good," Jeff grinned proudly. "Even during my practice session, one of the boiling tubes exploded. I had to do it twice. But during the presentation, it went really well."
"That's good," Addison chuckled, deciding to grab a container of ready-to-eat noodles instead. "Good luck, by the way."
"Thanks, but I don't need it," Jeff smirked. "I did well, remember?"
"Showoff..." Addison rolled her eyes, putting the noodles and a bottle of milk on the counter for him to scan. "But yeah, you did do good. I saw it myself. Very interesting."
Jeff smiled boyishly as he scanned the stuff. "Imagine being the one carrying it out."
Addison gasped in awe as she imagined herself in a lab coat and protective goggles, heating colourful substances on Bunsen burners until they would explode.
"Actually I love science, just not the smelly equations and calculations that come with it. Seriously, maths and science could be sisters."
"You don't like maths?" Jeff smirked, leaning over the counter.
"Not the science ones," Addison frowned. "I still have no idea how I passed chemistry without knowing how to calculate molarity..."
Jeff shook his head, frowning. "It's actually easy..."
"Easy for you because you're a nerd!" Addison scowled. "I'm no nerd."
"Yeah, and you don't do your homework behind the counter," Jeff rolled his eyes, pushing the things back to her. "Addie, don't think I don't know."
"How?" Addison tilted her head in surprise. "How did you know I do my homework during work?!"
Jeff frowned, avoiding her glare, then smirked at her. "So, you actually do that?"
"What?" Addison frowned. "Wait, I'm confused. How do you actually know I do homework during work? I don't think I've pulled it out in front of you before?"
Jeff chuckled and shook his head. "I just guessed that you would do your homework here, though I've never really seen. I just piece everything together when you said your friend takes extra coaching from you."
"But... how do you know?" Addison still asked, confused.
"I just assumed."
Addison sighed. "Is it that obvious?"
"You bet."
Addison shrugged and went to the table with her food, sitting down to eat instead.

"I think my new housemate is the Superhero," Addison frowned, watching Fiolina stuff her face. "Because he's got noisier after the comeback."
"What about before?" Fiolina loudly chomped.
"He only came after the disappearance," Addison frowned thoughtfully, as if she had just realised something. "Right after, in fact..."
Fiolina shrugged. "Could be. Have you seen him?"
Addison frowned, shaking her head. "Nope. He's never been out."
"Then, that's definitely our guy," Fiolina concluded. "Addie, what do you think?"
"The same..." Addison frowned. "We should investigate one day. By the way, you're actually eating YumYum?"
"Yeah?" Fiolina said, dipping the blue plastic picker into the compartment with thick chocolate before dipping it into the one with colourful rice crispies. "Why?"
"The last time I ate that was back when I was eight..." Addison snorted. "I can't believe you're still eating that."
Fiolina smirked, eating her snack. She smudged some chocolate all over her mouth as she devoured it.
The welcome tune blared, making the two women turn to the source almost at the same time. Addison inwardly groaned when seeing the familiar blond enter.
"Hey, Addie," Jake greeted, walking in.
"Hello, Jake," Addison smiled back.
Jake smiled back and nodded at Fiolina, who just sat there, halfway eating her chocolate sticks. She turned red and hid the plastic cup under the table, making Addison laugh. She subtly snapped a picture of her too, meaning to use it to threaten her whenever needed.
She decided to alert her about the smudge, since Jake was Jordan's good friend and Jordan was Fiolina's boyfriend, by taking her phone out and texting her.
Addie: Wipe your mouth
Addie: Full of chocolate
Fio: Nuts
Addie: Jake is your beau's bestie too...
Fio: NUTS!
She quickly fished out a tissue and wiped her mouth.
Jake eventually returned to the counter, his hands full of buns. They were mostly cheese-flavoured buns by Itchy-Bun.
"You must really like these buns, huh?" Addison chuckled, scanning them.
"Yeah..." Jake grinned. "Speedmart ran out. They always do..."
"Yeah, that's why I prefer shopping here," Addison stated, scanning everything. "By the way, didn't you buy like five of these only yesterday?"
"Yeah, but I've finished them," Jake shrugged. "Couldn't resist eating them."
Addison wondered how much this guy even eats, considering that one Itchy-Bun was actually enough.
"Have a nice day," Addison smiled, handing the plastic bag of buns to him.
"Yeah, and to you too," Jake chuckled. "By the way, what time does your shift finish?"
Addison looked at the clock behind her and frowned. "Two minutes." She already knew what he was planning.
Jake smiled. "Alright, I'll wait for you."
"Oh, you don't have to," Addison refused. "I don't mind taking the bus back."
Her phone vibrated with texts from Fiolina, saying that she shouldn't decline such an offer and notice that Jake was hinting something. Addison promptly ignored the buzzing and maintained a straight face.
"Oh come on, it's no biggie," Jake chuckled. "Addie, we literally live in the same house. I don't mind waiting for two minutes."
Jake sat down on the chair in front of Fiolina and played on his phone. Fiolina grinned at Addison, wiggling her brows and motioning them towards Jake. Addison frowned and took her phone out.
Addie: Quit it or I'll send Jordan the picture of you with chocolate all over your face
Fio: ?!
Addison sent her the picture she took.
Fio: Ur a devious villain!
Addie: Thanks
Addie

Addison went up the stairs and passed the mysterious tenant's room

Addison went up the stairs and passed the mysterious tenant's room. She frowned, resisting the urge to barge in and see what he looked like. It was noisy in there too, so he was definitely in.
But then she shrugged and went back to her room instead.