Chapter 99

Addison arrived a few minutes earlier than the bus usually would and sat down on the metal bench to wait, browsing through her phone as she did. Two minutes goes by, then three, then five.
But the bus didn't come.
Addison groaned and got up to look at the road where the bus would turn the corner to arrive at the stop. But the only thing she saw were the headlights of passing cars and bikes. There was no bus, not a sign of Spring Valley's free bus. She looked at the time and realised that she still had time if she were to walk the rest of the way. There seemed to be no other choice, now, seeing how the bus still seized to appear.
So she started walking, brisk and careful steps as she made her way into the alleyway she dreaded. There were a few thug-like guys seated around, staring at their phones as they smoked. The only thing that bothered her was the smoke that wafted out of the cigarettes. Other than that, everything was fine. They even peacefully ignored her, merely sparing her a glance before going right back to their phones.
Addison passed through the alleyway and made her way towards the residential area where the Kennedys' home stood. She was a little sad that she didn't get to meet the Superhero the one day Jake was late to pick her up, but at least it was a trouble-free night, with her being unharmed and still in one piece.
It was brightest house in the whole street, shining even brighter now without Jordan's car parked in the driveway. That wasn't really a surprise since Jordan sometimes came in late, either because he's held up at work or because he ends up deciding to hit the bar to drink his misery away.
Addison sighed, shaking her head at the thought of Jordan driving home drunk. She took her bag off and rummaged in it for her keys, knowing full well that she was going to have a hard time finding it since she had haphazardly chucked it into the main compartment instead of putting it into the side pocket.
She could hear it rattling somewhere at the bottom, but her fingers touched nothing that even resembled her keychain or key ring. Addison groaned loudly and dug into her bag more vigorously, shaking the bag so that it would slip out of any corner it was hiding in.
Finally, she felt her finger curl around the key ring and pulled it out of her bag. Addison wasted no time in inserting it into the keyhole to turn it and go in.
But that's when her backpack decided to escape her grasp and fall, strewing her things right onto the driveway. Maybe she the walk home was peaceful, but this was definitely not a trouble-free night. Now, she had to gather her things.
Addison groaned and got onto the ground to pick everything up when a blinding white light exploded just a few feet from her. She quickly looked up and saw Jordan standing there, staring at her in surprise. This was it! This was what she needed to confirm that Jordan was indeed the Superhero!
But then another figure stepped out from behind him, giving her a friendly gesture of finger guns before turning to Jordan with his arms crossed. The Superhero shook his head as he regarded the redhead, seemingly in disappointment. Then he brought his arms forward and disappeared into his light, leaving Jordan to stand there, still staring at Addison.
So it's not Jordan?
"What happened?" Addison asked, abandoning her bag and going over to him. "Where's your car?"
As if in answer to her question, the blue sedan appeared right then, parked on the road in front of the house. The Superhero dusted his hands as he came to them. He stared Jordan down for a bit more, this time with his hands on his waist, then turned to Addison.
"Was he drunk-driving?" Addison asked.
To her surprise, Superhero gave Jordan a smack on the back. Then he turned to Addison and pointed his thumb at him, as if to say that Jordan would explain it instead.
The Superhero was about to turn around and leave when Addison stopped him. She ran over to her backpack and pulled her notebook out, opening it to take out the small ziplock bag with the rose. Addison handed it to him and smiled.
"You dropped this the other day," Addison said. "It must've fallen out of your book."
Superhero stared at it for a moment, then nodded. He gave her finger guns, pointed to Jordan and made a gesture as if to say 'you stink' by fanning his hand in front of his mask, then ran off into his own light. Addison turned to Jordan and shook him by the shoulders.
"What did you do?"
"I don't know what happened," Jordan shook his head. "When I came to, I was lying in front of the pub and Superhero gave me a hard slap." He pointed to his face where a red handprint still showed. "That kinda sobered me up a little, then he pulled me up by my shirt and brought me straight here. And then he brought my car too."
"You better not leave it on the road like that," Addison said. "You want me to drive it over?"
Jordan shook his head. "It's fine. I'm quite sober now."
He took his keys out and went to his car. Addison moved away and let him park before opening the front door and pulling him inside.
"See, I told you it's bad for you to get drunk in this state!" Addison groaned as soon as they hit indoors. "It's a good thing you didn't start driving yet, how much did you even drink?!"
Jordan gulped and turned away from her. "I don't want to say."
Addison pulled his arm and turned him to face her. "Jordan, please. I know what you're dealing with is too much, but please don't spoil yourself like this. This is bad, you're endangering yourself like this."
Jake descended the stairs and looked at them in surprise. "What happened?" He asked.
"The Superhero had to bring Jordan home because he ended up fainting in front of the pub," Addison informed. "The Superhero knocked some sense into him too. See that mark on his face?"
"He slapped you?" Jake's eyes widened.
Jordan nodded. "He brought my car home too."
"And Superhero also mentioned that Jordan reeks," Addison snorted. "By doing this." She demonstrated by fanning her hand in front of her face, much like the Superhero had done.
Jake shook his head. "Jordan, why are you doing this? Talk to us, you need help!"
"There's nothing that can help me feel better," Jordan murmured and walked past them to go up the steps. "My life's terribly messed up now, no one can do nothing to help me."
The two of them were left to watch him leave in surprise. Addison turned to Jake, concern written all over her face.
"Did you speak to his parents?" Addison asked.
Felicia walked in, looking at her phone. "I'll do that right now." She frowned and pressed the phone to her ear as she sat down on the armchair. "Something has to be done, and it has to be now..."