Chapter 98

It was evident that something was bothering Jordan once again, Addison just knew it. The tension in the car was so overwhelming that Addison even considered getting out when Jordan stopped at the traffic light near their campus.
But unlike usual situations like this, Jordan didn't in the least seem grumpy, more like disturbed and worried. He tried to be as cheerful as he could, that she could tell, but there was clearly something bothering him.
"Jordan, is something bothering you?" Addison asked when they seat to have their breakfast at Pizza Land.
Jordan shook his head as he slurped his drink before speaking. "No."
Addison sighed. "Jordan, please. Just tell me what's wrong."
"Things aren't looking good back at home," Jordan said, taking a bite of his pizza breakfast sandwich. "And I don't wanna talk about it."
"Okay..." Addison nodded understandingly. "How messed up it even is?"
"Very messed up," Jordan stated. "Sometimes, I can't even think straight with it running around my mind."
"And so you drink yourself senseless?" Addison couldn't help but say, poking at her bacon and egg pizza. "Jordan, please. Don't destroy yourself like that."
"I know no other way," Jordan quietly stated. "That's the only way for me to... to forget about it."
Addison groaned. "Jordan! Please, you're driving. You drove home drunk the other day. What if something happens?"
"I always drink with a limit, just enough that my mind is hazy but still clear as day."
"That statement doesn't even make any sense!"
"Then maybe you shouldn't interfere with this."
Addison was surprised. It was like her friend had just pulled up a wall around him.
"Jordan, I'm only looking out for you," Addison pointed out. "Imagine walking in and finding you slumped against the sofa. Jake was so worried for you. He actually panicked when he saw you like that."
Jordan said nothing and quietly ate his sandwich. Addison knew why he was silenced at the mention of Jake. It was only that morning did Jake try to speak to him, only for his statement to get completely ignored, and responded with a simple smile and wave from Jordan. Addison wished that there was some other way that they could help him, but it seemed like the redhead didn't leave any room for even a strand of help to pass through. A full wall was built around him, one that didn't let anything pass from either side. But it was still translucent, anyone on the outside could still see that there was something majorly wrong happening on the other side. Just that, they couldn't tell what it is since all that could be seen were shadows, silhouettes of a dark fog that clouded his mind.

Addison sighed and sat down as soon as she entered the shop. That was all Jeff needed to know that something was wrong.
"Did something happen?" Jeff asked, looking up from stocking the snack section. "You seem bummed."
Addison nodded. "Kinda. Jordan's acting up again."
"I wouldn't have known since you're not carrying a Sundeer drink this time," Jeff snorted, placing a pack of sour cream and onion-flavoured chips on the shelf.
"They do not come cheap, Jeff," Addison groaned. "And I'm on a budget too."
Jeff nodded understandingly. "So what's happened to him this time? Seriously, he's like a baby and you're like his mom or something."
Addison shrugged. "That's actually true. No one knows what's actually wrong with him. But it's a family problem, he doesn't wanna reveal anything more than just that."
"Just let the loser be, Superhero or not," Jeff snorted. "If he's really the Superhero, then he's doing a very good job at hiding it. Because he makes himself seem more like the damsel in distress than a hero that saves the world."
Addison didn't want to argue since that was a valid point. To Jeff's surprise, she actually nodded in agreement.
"You're right, maybe that's why he doesn't want to tell anyone what's bothering him," Addison added. "Because he thinks he can solve it all alone since he's the hero of the town anyway."
Jeff nodded, pointing a hand at her as a signal that he agrees. Addison decided to get something to eat, some tacos from the food warmer and some cherry soda. Jeff took a break from sorting the chips and made his way to the counter to help her with the transaction.

Fiolina wore a frown when she came in an hour before her shift. She sat down at her usual spot and gave Addison a concerned look.
"Addie, is something wrong with Jordan? He isn't replying to my texts."
Addison gave her a shrug. "There is, but we're not sure what. He's not telling us anything, it's like he built himself a wall to not anyone through."
"Is he in grumpy mode again?" Fiolina asked. "Because if not, I can go see him now and speak to him."
"He isn't, but... he's not responding much," Addison sighed. "Jake tried to speak to him this morning, but Jordan just smiled at him and gave him a wave. He's trying to act like nothing's up, but there's definitely something up."
Fiolina nodded. "I can tell... he isn't very active in social media recently too."
"Yes. Galante tried to speak to him earlier too, but Jordan just brushed him off. Can you try? He's really worrying us, Fio. He came in drunk the last few days, like blackout drunk. The other night, we found him slumped against the sofa. We thought he was unconscious at first but then he just got up and staggered upstairs. It's a wonder that he managed to get home safely."
"He drunk drives?" Fiolina said in surprise. "Oh, no. Addie, he told me a few months ago that he loathes people who endanger their lives like that. And he's doing it now. Something is majorly wrong with him."
Addison nodded regretfully. "We know. Something's up back at home, apparently. Jake mentioned that he was considering to call his mom and ask her why since it's really messing with poor Jordan."
"Maybe your landlady can call them?" Fiolina suggested. "She's Jake's mom, after all. She's in the right position to do so, right?"
"That's what we were thinking too," Addison agreed. "I just hope he comes home safe tonight." Her phone dinged with a notification, making her frown at the message that popped on her screen. "And I hope I go home safely too. Jake just texted me to say that he's being held up at work today."
"Oh no..." Fiolina gulped. "Hey, do you want me to drop you or something? We can close the shop for a while."
Addison shook her head. "Nah, it's fine. I need to meet the Superhero to return his rose, anyway. Might as well be today. Though I'm sincerely hoping that I wouldn't get in no trouble. I don't wanna be traumatised all over again."
"Then at least take a PickYou," Fiolina suggested.
"There aren't that many riders around at this time of the day, Fio," Addison reasoned. "It's fine, it's not like I've walked home before. I'll just take the bus. Maybe I'll leave a few minutes earlier."
Fiolina nodded. "Sure. I don't mind that."