Chapter 64

"So, any news on why Capelli Rossi is so... rossi?" Giuseppe asked as soon as he arrived at the dining hall.
"Nope," Jake sighed, shaking his head. "Haven't said a word."
"Addie?" Giuseppe turned to Addison, much to her dismay.
"Uh... no, he didn't say anything," Addison shook her head. "I tried to jump him during work but all I got was a Hazelnut Latte..."
"I tried too, going there for my usual Mochaccino," Giuseppe said. "He wouldn't even look at me when giving me the cup..."
"I admit, this is so not like him," Jake frowned, absentmindedly dipping a cookie into his apple juice. "I mean... he has been like this before, but that was years ago in high school..."
"What happened then?" Addison asked curiously.
Jake shrugged. "I'm not sure about that either. He avoided me for like a week and then he suddenly began acting normal again. I just brushed it off, thinking it was a girlfriend problem or something. But this time, I know it isn't girlfriend trouble. You said that chick is just as confused?"
"Yeah..." Addison nodded. "She was telling me that Jordan isn't responding to her texts much either."
"I'm sure there's something going on in that redhead of his," Giuseppe shrugged. "You guys look into it, I'll try asking his other lecturers to see if they have an idea of why he's like that."
Their study session was beginning to turn into a spy session. They heard Jordan coming in and immediately turned back to their studying. Jake leaned forward to take a look and frowned.
"Same thing, maybe worse," Jake sighed, pushing his glasses up his nose. "I have no idea anymore."
"Let's just get on with the lesson," Galante sighed.

***

Addison peeked into the kitchen before entering. Jordan was there, as usual, drinking his hot cocoa.
"Hey, Jordan," Addison greeted, making her way to the water dispenser. "Had a good night?"
"Terrible," Jordan groaned but offered no details. "Come when you ready, I'll be waiting outside."
"Okay," Addison nodded and poured two sachets of coffee into her flask before filling it up.
Giuseppe soon came in, seemingly to look for Jordan.
"Where's the redhead?" Giuseppe asked when he realised that only Addison was there.
"Outside," Addison answered.
"Oh, okay," Giuseppe said and proceeded to leave.
Addison gasped and quickly screwed the lid of her flask, scorching her hands a little, and ran to the porch. Giuseppe hadn't reached it yet so she quickly went out and went towards Jordan's car.
"Quick, Galante's on his way!" Addison said, pushing Jordan. "Quick quick, start the car!"
Jordan followed suit and quickly got into the driver's seat. Addison got in next to him and they left just as Giuseppe came out of the house.
"Oi!" They heard Giuseppe shout after them.
Addison was laughing, peering at Giuseppe from the car's side mirror. "Oh my gosh, he saw us!"
"I know," Jordan said, smirking a little. "Good thing you saw it coming."
"He was looking for you and I accidentally told him you were outside," Addison admitted. "He was making a beeline straight for you."
Jordan sighed. "Wonder what even he has with me..."
"Well, for starters you're unusually quiet lately," Addison shrugged. "And I guess that made him a little concerned."
To her surprise, Jordan only grunted in reply. Addison just sighed and looked out the window, watching the cars pass by and the early-morning city. She silently gasped in awe when seeing the lines of gold on the horizon. The sky was bright as day, but the remnants of gold still hung between the clouds.
Her gaze then fell on the side mirror, spotting an old red car.
'Oh, a vintage car,' Addison thought. Her face instantly changed when she found it familiar. 'Wait a second... a vintage red car?!'
She let out a gasp as she realised something.
"What, what is it?" Jordan asked, mildly concerned.
"GALANTE IS FOLLOWING US!" Addison exclaimed.
Jordan looked at the rear-view mirror and panicked. "Oh my god, that punk is chasing us?!"
"That's it, we're in hot soup now," Addison gulped. "He might even ask us to pull over and stuff!"
"Hang on," Jordan sternly said.
He turned on the radio, making Track 1 from F1 2000 start playing. Jordan slowly put pressure on the car's accelerator, gradually increasing its speed.
Addison looked at the rear-view again and noticed that Giuseppe was gaining on them too.
"He's gaining on us," Addison gulped.
"That old car certainly packs a punch, doesn't it?" Jordan groaned, speeding up a little more.
"Jordan, no. At this rate, you're gonna get a summon."
"I don't even care. I rather pay than getting caught by Galante."
The song's beat dropped and Jordan was forced to slow down due to the building-up of cars at the traffic light. Giuseppe stopped too, with almost a dozen cars between him and Jordan's sedan.
But as soon as it turned green, Jordan sped up once more, leaving Galante to get stuck with another red light.
"Yes!" Addison cheered. "He got stuck at the red light! You can slow down now, Jordan."
"And then what, light turns green and he's after us again? No way."
"But he might catch us during class later..."
"We don't have Academic Writing today, Addie."
Addison snorted. "Way to go. Just hope he doesn't catch us at home or something..."
"He won't... he'll be too tired by then."
"Jordan, Jake's so-called tuition classes still exists. And it's because you invited him to study with him that one time. You left, but he never did. In fact, there's Galante now too."
"Okay, eww... college classes with him is enough for me. I don't need any added freebies."

"The two of you tried running away from me?!" Galante spat as soon as he spotted them having breakfast in McRonalds. "I'm telling the police that you were way past the speed limit."
Jordan swallowed his mouthful. "Sir, I'm pretty sure I was driving below sixty kilometres per hour like the law allows. Are you sure it's not just your car having slow pickup?"
Addison choked on her nuggets.
"Oh yeah, then how can you explain how I couldn't catch up with you despite driving seventy kilometres an hour?" Galante countered.
"Well, then you can get a speeding summon just like me," Jordan smirked back. "We can go together, then."
Giuseppe muttered something in Italian and stormed off.
Jordan looked proud of himself, sipping his cola.
"Dude, are you insane? What if he gets us into trouble?" Addison said as soon as Giuseppe left the shop. "Jordan! He's our lecturer! What if he plays with our grades out of spite or something?"
Jordan shrugged. "He won't be marking the real Academic Writing paper now, will he?"
Addison just shook her head in surprise. "You are insane, Jordan. You really are."
"Thank you," Jordan nodded, smirking.
Addison shook her head, smirking slightly. At least this strange incident managed to get some spirit back into Jordan.