18- Tuesday

Cody let his head drop to the table and groaned. He heard the librarian shush him from her desk, but he didn't care. He heard footsteps next to him.

"Hey, Cody. What's wrong?" It was Trent. His band mate sat across from him with a few books.

Cody looked up, "I have a test in Mrs. Sanders' class tomorrow, but I suck at history."

"What if I help you study tonight?"

"I thought you promised Harold you'd teach him a song on the guitar?"

"He can come too, if that'd be okay with you." Cody nodded and smiled. "Okay, what if we invite Justin, too? He said he's doing pretty bad in that class too."

"Can I invite Noah and make it a little party? I seem to study better with him around."

"Sounds great, see you at 5."  Cody nodded and put his book in his backpack. He sent a quick text to Noah inviting him over after school.
______________________________________

Trent sighed as the boy next to him let his head fall onto the couch cushion. He had no way to make Cody understand history. "I thought you asked Noah to come, maybe he'll be a better tutor than I am?"

Cody shook his head, "He said he didn't know if he'd be able to get here or not." It looked like there was something else going on, Trent decided not to pry. Instead, he patted his friend on the shoulder and walked over to Harold to help him with guitar. Trent helped Harold strum a few notes and saw Cody writing something down. They stopped playing. "No, keep playing, I study better with music."

The band members smiled to each other and picked up their instruments while Cody remained on the couch with a book and papers. They sang popular songs like "Dear Maria, Count Me In" by All Time Low, "Line Without a Hook" by Ricky Montgomery, and Harold favorite "Baby" by The Drama Brothers.

There was a knock on the door after the last song. Trent walked over and opened it, slightly surprised to see Noah standing there. "Hey, man," Trent greeted, "thought you weren't coming?"

"Uh plans changed. I came to help Cody study." Trent opened the door wider and pointed to the boy sitting in the corner of the room with his nose in a book. Noah nodded and walked over there. Trent watched as his friend's face lit up with the new addition to the 'party'.

He decided to give the two some privacy and followed Justin into the kitchen. His crush was busy typing away at his phone and drumming his fingers on the table.

"Hey, you alright?" Justin nearly jumped when her heard Trent's voice.

"Yup, I'm fine." He tried to leave, but Trent gently grabbed his arm, giving him a look. "I'm just stressed, okay? Not everything is this big underlying problem you can solve, Trent, so just leave me alone." Trent watched as the boy grabbed his coat and left the house.
_______________________________________

Noah sat next to the boy Trent had pointed at, feeling guilty for showing up so late. Cody looked up at him and the bookworm saw his entire face light up. There was small talk about how Noah's plans changed (Izzy and Eva forces him to come here and hang out with his "boyfriend" instead of watching true crime shows) and how the studying was going.

"Hey, so I'm sorry about being kinda weird these past few days, it's just that-" Noah stopped talking when saw Justin nearly sprinting out of the house. "Uh what just happened with him?"

"He's been stressed about a song we're singing I guess, I don't really know. Um you were saying?"

"I should probably check on him."

"You guys are friends?"

"It's a weird relationship, I give him advice and he doesn't take it. I'll be right back." Cody agreed sadly and Noah left the house. He looked around and saw a car being started in the driveway. He walked up to Justin's car and knocked on the window.

"What do you want?" Justin asked. Noah rolled his eyes and asked if he could sit in the car with him.

Noah sighed, "you know they're worried about you. Why do you keep running off?"

Justin let his head fall to the steering wheel. "I have this whole plan to sing for Trent, but I'm scared and I don't know what to do. And then whenever he asks about it I get all anxious and panic, so I run." Noah nodded, he knew this all too well.

"why don't you just man up and tell him?" Noah wasn't being helpful and he knew it.

"Well why don't you man up and tell Cody you're in love with him?"

"What?!" Noah scoffed and got out of the car. Before shutting the door, though, he leaned into the car and said, "for the record, I'm not in love with Cody." He shut the door and began walking back inside.

Behind him he heard, "Keep telling yourself that, Noah." And turned around to see Justin rolling up the passenger side window.