Chase

Shuichi:

      I document all of the evidence from the body while Kokichi paces and rants. "I have mind-blowing sex last night and it turned out you're a detective and now I'm being hunted by the killer, Im not gonna be able to even shit without an escort, then I'm gonna get fired because when I'm anxious I don't perform well, and then-"

"Kokichi, calm down! I've got you, okay? You're not gonna die, you're not gonna get hurt, you're not gonna get fired. And yes, you can shit without an escort. I promise." I grab him shoulders and stop him from pacing. 

"How do you know? You don't know the future!" Kokichi snaps. I stay patient with him as my uncle and a few other detectives take care of the rest. I pull Kokichi aside and just hug him. That's what he needs right now. He needs to know that someone is here for him. Kokichi's taken aback for a minute, but then he wraps his arms around me too. 

"I don't wanna die, Shuichi..." Kokichi says, his voice muffled by my shoulder. 

"I know, and I'm going to make sure you don't die. I'm gonna make sure you're safe." I reply, rubbing Kokichi's back. Why am I so addicted to him. We just met and I already feel like we're meant to happen. I don't know if it's because I kind of get attached after sex, or if it's fate or some shit? I honestly don't know, but I'm so drawn by this enigma. 

"Promise?"

"I promise." 

~

My uncle finished running the investigation while Kokichi gave me his statement. I probably shouldn't have let Vanessa leave, but she was shaken up and something's telling me she's not the one behind everything. She has an alibi for the other murders, but then again I can't tell if it's a duo. 

Wait.

If it's a duo and Vanessa and Kokichi were the only ones here, wouldn't I have to suspect them? Then again, the murders that Kokichi has alibi's for, Vanessa does too. They weren't together, but they have alibis for most of the murders. There are a few where only Vanessa or only Kokichi have an alibi. If anything I actually have reason to believe these two are about to be set up. Each target had a work schedule parallel to Kokichi's, Vanessa's, or both of their schedules. That's a little too conveni-

"Shuichi, what're you thinking?" My uncle interrupts my train of thought. I shake my head, a concentrated look on my face. 

"What if this isn't just one person, but rather a duo?" I ask, tilting my head. 

"Like Kokichi and Vanessa?" My uncle asks. I shake my head. 

"No, I mean someone we've never met before. Someone behind the scenes." I reply, looking back at Kokichi. He has a genuine look of sickness and fear and the body's taken the morgue. The crime scene will remain, but we needed an autopsy for the body to rule out anything else. "It makes sense, just look at him. His genuine reaction, plus the schedule alignment says it all. The schedules of the victims run too identical to Kokichi's and Vanessa's." 

"You make a good point, Shuichi. What do you want to do next?" My uncle asks. I look at him wide-eyed. 

"Wait, I can take charge?" I ask. My uncle nods and I smile at him. "Thank you, I won't let you down." 

"I know you won't." He replies as he walks away. "Call me if you need me, but I know you won't."

"Of course." I respond. He walks away and I go over to Kokichi. He sits there on his phone, texting someone. 

"Are you okay?" I ask, putting a hand on his shoulder. Kokichi doesn't move, just hands me his phone. I look down and there's a message from an unknown number.

You'll never be more than a slut. Nobody will ever want you! That's why I'm going to kill you... nobody will miss you anyways.

Kokichi holds a blank stare at the floor while I screenshot the messages and send them to myself. "Okay, don't delete those, just-"

Shuichi, how nice of you to join this conversation.

My blood runs cold as grab my gun. "Hey, circle the perimeter, right now! Let's move people!" I exclaim to the remaining officers in the room. Everyone runs out the doors as I stay with Kokichi. He takes a deep breath, trying to relax. 

Behind you.

      I whip my head around and out the window is figure dangling a phone at their finger-tips. I instantly fire my gun out the window and it breaks. "Stay here, don't move!" I exclaim taking off after the figure. They start running as I jump out the window. It's close to the ground so I'm able to take off after the killer. 

I chase them through the alleyway next to the club and a small boutique shop. "This is Saihara, I've got eyes on the killer, send back up to my location." I hold down the button on my radio before speeding up to catch this person. They run really fast!

As we near the end of the alleyway, people start to walk by. They dodge a stroller as soon as we're back on the busier streets. I just barely dodge it as well as the person keeps running through crowds. 

They have on nothing but black pants and a hoodie. It's way too hard to ID them. I can't lose them. As the weave through the crowd, people start to make a pathway. "Stop them!" I yell desperately as sirens start to wail. One really strong looking man starts to chase with me. The person takes a sharp turn into another alleyway, but this time, we hit a dead end. The man who joined me tackles them, but he's instantly stabbed in the leg by some sort of tranquilizer. He slowly passes out as I aim my gun. 

"It's over. There's nowhere to run." I pant as the person attempts to stand up. They chuckle in a deep tone. 

"That's what you think, Shuichi~" The person replies before lunging forward. They tackle me to the ground before throwing my gun in the dumpster. Fuck, there's no way I'm fishing that out yet. Not while they're here. They hop onto the small pole on the side of the building before looking back at my rage filled eyes. This is it. I'm losing them. "Sorry, Mr. Detective, but my plans are for Kokichi Ouma. You're not on my kill list! Tata~"

And just like that, they're gone...

~

Yes, I am aware it's short. Yes, I am aware this is late. And yes, I am aware it is midnight on a school night. 

Anyways, this was the best place to end this chapter regardless of length, I've been at a very small writers block, hence why this wasn't out yesterday, and I need to go to bed. 

Good night everyone :))