Death's Knocking at Your Door

Shuichi:

     "Shuichi! C'mon stay with me, babe, please!"

"Shuichi, you're gonna be just fine, we're almost there."

"Shuichi! Keep your eyes open, focus on my voice!"

My ears ring as the faint voices of Kokichi and Rantaro are heard around me. The gut wrenching pain in my left chest area rages as my mind tries to comprehend what's happening. I was on the roof and then a gun went off. My mind is fuzzy, I can't recall every detail, but one thing is clear, I was the one shot.

The faint sound of sirens can be heard as I slowly open and close my eyes, the pain increasing every time my eyelids open. The smell of metallic blood seeps through my nostrils, creating a bad taste in my mouth.

I suck in a sharp breath as I look up at the bright light of the ambulance before shutting my eyes tightly. "Ko..kichi..." I whisper breathlessly. Kokichi's blurred face comes into view as a tear falls on my face.

"Shuichi, I'm so sorry, this is all my fault." Kokichi apologizes relentlessly, his grip on my hand tightening as he starts to sob.

"She pulled the trigger, Kokichi." Rantaro comments from the left side of me. I struggle to stay awake as the pain in my chest intensifies drastically, like a spider infestation. It starts off with one spider, and the bang, that spider has a baby and all of a sudden you're outside, curled up in a ball, crying as you call the exterminator.

"I...It's not your fa-fault." I give Kokichi's hand a weak squeeze as my hand grows almost limp once again. Kokichi's voice fades to nothing as a gentle voice takes over, calling out to me.

"Shuichi..."

The voice is gentle, that of a woman's. The voice sends a chill down my spine as my eyes close for the last time.

When I open my eyes again, I'm outside on the play-set of my childhood home. I gently swing on the swing set as my name is called again from the kitchen window. The house is larger than I remember, but then again I am in my twenties. I'd hate to sound spoiled, but I did grow up extremely wealthy. I come from a long line of detectives of course.

"Shuichi, come on, dinner!"

My mother.

Her voice is so delicate and just as I remember it. The soft way she speaks creates a comforting sound to listen to. I slowly stand up from the swing set, letting the wind softly rock the seat back and forth.

With one step at a time, a racing heart, and sweaty palms, I make my way to the back door of the mini-mansion. As soon as I set my hand on the door handle, everything around me goes black.

"Mom?" I whisper.

Suddenly, I feel myself being grabbed from the door. So many hands grab and pull at me to get me to back away. What is going on? Why is this happening? I struggle against their hellish grip, trying to get back to my mother. "Mom, help me!"

The sound of a beeping monitor brings my mind back to life. My hand is still engulfed by Kokichi's grieving, scared touch. I open my eyes slowly, adjusting to the light again to see Kokichi better. He looks down at me, sobbing now.

"Don't ever do that to me again, please, don't go, Shuichi." Kokichi cries, kissing the back of my hand. I gently nod my head the best I can, my breathing still incredibly ragged.

How much time passed? Seconds? Minutes? I was dissociated for some time. I just don't know how long.

Once the ambulance comes to a stop, Kokichi's hand stays locked with mine as I'm hauled off into the hospital, Kokichi running along side the paramedics. A pit forms in my stomach as my anxiety sets in. This might be the end of the line for me. This is the moment of life or death, this surgery, right now.