Chapter 17- Raven's Rave

Here, now go, fetch!

(Check out my twitter too for updates and behind the scenes: @Pee_Wee_Herm)

     The hallways were still freezing as ever. A violent chill went down your spine as you carefully traversed the ancient stone steps of the church. Your teeth chattered and you couldn't tell if it was from the cold or from your anxiety. After the first month or so of living in the convent, you thought you wouldn't have to talk to any more new people. Your roommates always brought in their friends to hang out, and Bea and Beau were both social butterflies who apparently were best friends with half of the damn building. You, however, were not so used to talking to people, especially someone you've never met. Knowing you were going to have to meet dozens, hell, maybe hundreds of new people tonight put you on edge. You weren't actually sure how many ghouls there were. The common room was fairly large, and the basement reached all the way from the nave of the church to the convent, well over three-hundred feet. There was still so much of it to explore. Who knew how many winding hallways and hidden arches there were within those catacombs.

     It felt so much more empty in the church because of the holiday. There were no distant footsteps, coughs, or sneezes, no laughter, no breathing. It was like you were in your own little world in here, so far away from your old life. The old recurring thought of your family returned in an unwanted vigor. It was your first Christmas Eve without them. You weren't sure how to feel about it yet. It had been bothering you all week, the thought constantly in the back of your mind. You hoped they were able to enjoy it regardless if you were there or not. Who knows, they might not have been even thinking of you. You pushed away the sadness that crept up your throat. Tonight was not about them. Tonight, you planned on spending time with your friends and forgetting all about the pains you carried.

     It had felt like forever since you last went down into the basement, but realistically, it had only been about three days. The events of the previous days were so busy and tiring, you completely lost track of time. You sincerely looked forward to being able to sleep well into the morning in your new room for the first time. Maybe on your vacation, you could start decorating your office. It had been left virtually untouched since you first received the keys for it, the only thing being shifted were the markers that were still on the floor. You could allow yourself to be lazy this once.

     The giant oak door appeared in your vision, and your heart picked up its pace. You wondered if Rain was already there waiting for you. You weren't sure how much longer you could wait before you could see him again. He always knew how to calm you down, somehow.

     Your arms were a little sore from carrying the two surprisingly heavy platters all the way down with you, but you mustered the strength to balance them in one hand as you pulled on the cold metal handle with the other. It swung out, Newton's first law of motion dragging you with it. Your feet stumbled over each other, and the tower of lussekatter teetered dangerously. Before it could tip over and smash itself all on the floor, two pale hands jumped out from the dark and caught them as you fell to the ground. Your right hand still held on tightly to the door's ring. The stone was so much colder than it needed to be, the surface quickly stinging your ass cheeks the longer they stayed planted there. You looked around for your plates. Black brogue dress shoes led to long slender pant legs, striped white and red socks peeking out at the ankles. A disturbingly bright green sweater depicted a broken gingerbread man on it with the words 'oh snap' above it. Familiar hands held up the two missing trays. Two concerned eyes stared down at you.

     "Are you okay?" Rain asked as he steadied the buns with one arm, handing you his other. You grasped it tightly and pulled yourself up with his help.

     "I suppose so," you laughed, "-especially since you saved my desserts. You're my hero, Rain." The ghoul's heart stuttered. 

     This was going to be a long night.