Chapter 18- Racing Hearts

"Left hand yellow."

     "Shit..."

     You didn't exactly remember how you got here, but there was no leaving now, not with the intricate way you were tangled with the three other ghouls playing. Legs were crossed over each other, arms were bent in painful ways, and heads were hung low. Your neck had grown damp with sweat from the game and from the sheer amount of heat the ghouls seemed to radiate. Having to be in such close proximity to them was like sitting next to a furnace.

     Dewdrop's head swiveled around as he tried to figure out how to maneuver himself. His position was already difficult to hold, his feet on opposite ends of the mat and his other hand already on red.

     "Can I change to a different green?" He asked.

     "No." The ghoul holding the spinner replied bluntly.

     "My foot will still be on green, I just want to move it up a spot."

     "Not unless you want to be disqualified." Dewdrop sighed and stretched his hand to a yellow dot, his arms starting to burn from the exertion.

     "(Y/n), I think it's your turn." He strained. You nodded. The ghoul with the spinner, whose name you could not remember at the moment, brought it close to your face. You blew on the board, the piece of plastic revolving around its axis. He lifted it back up into his lap and announced the next move.

     "Purple, my favourite color!" He exclaimed happily. You groaned.

     "I thought it was gray?" The ghoul playing alongside you named said. You hazily remembered him shaking your hand and telling you his name, something with a 'B'.

     "Not tonight it isn't-"

     "Gray isn't a color, it's a shade." Dew interjected.

     "Don't care, didn't ask, plus you're ugly." The game master responded as the board was tossed down to the floor and exchanged for a clear shot glass with an even clearer liquid. You mentally psyched yourself up for the burn. Your friend spat out some distasteful remark about the man's mother. He ignored it.

     "Open wide, buddy." He lifted your chin with his free hand and put the glass to your mouth. Your lips parted as you gulped down the liquor quickly, the burn still as strong as the other two shots you took beforehand. You resisted the urge to cough.

     "Taking it like a champ, Nuntius." The ghoul stood from his crouch.

     "I don't feel like one." You grumbled. He patted the top of your head, your hat being long since abandoned to the side along with your plastic medal in favor of no distractions and no excess heat.

     "You're keeping up with everyone else, so I'd take that as a win, especially with your weak human muscles and all." He said as he sat back down in his wooden chair and crossed his legs, one over the other. You glared playfully.

     "Can someone fucking lose already? I gotta take a piss." The ghoul right next to you, named Terri, complained. You looked over to him with a frown.

     "Just fall down, you'd be doing me a favor." Your statement earned a chuckle from the ghouls.

     "What, you don't like my ass in your face?" He teased.

     "Not really, no."

     "And what about my ass?" Dewdrop chimed in.

     "Considering I can see your boxers right now? Also no."