Chapter 3- An Infallible Plan

"Do you have any idea what you're asking for?" The oldest brother jabbed.

     Papa Emeritus III was currently at one of the meetings held every Friday being berated for suggesting that they should hire a new messenger. For the past three months he had been using you as his personal deliverer between him and the ghouls. You didn't mind at all, of course, and agreed to keep it hush hush and under the clergy's noses. Papa realized how much more organized he was as a result, and talked with you about proposing the idea of a new messenger to the higher-ups. You said you'd do it, but you were not going to be the one to ask. So here he was, being scolded by his two older brothers whilst the rest of the clergy listened to the whole conversation.

     Papa leaned back in his chair with his arms crossed. 

     "Of course I know what I'm asking for, that's why I asked it. Just hear me out; Remember how nice everything was with a messenger? How everyone was able to be done with their work at six P.M.?"

     "Remember how some poor girl was eaten alive by ghouls we thought we could trust?"

     "Hey, I personally never trusted them-"

     "Someone died inside the church. We already have enough shit to deal with being a church of the Antichrist, we do not need another accident." Papa rubbed his tongue against his cheek in frustration. He knew his brothers were going to be tough nuts to crack, so he devised a plan before coming here. It was actually written down on a sticky note that was folded neatly in his pants pocket;

     Step One. Ask each member about how organized they are.

     Step Two. Propose the idea.

     Step Three. Keep it cool while the dumbasses bicker.

     Step Four. Ask the rest of the council what they think.

     Step Five. Persuade them with your good looks and charm.

     Step Six. Profit.

     Papa was now enacting step four. 

     "Cardinal, what do you think?" He knew the new cardinal would be able to be convinced by just pushing the idea on him semi-aggressively. The cardinal's head snapped up from his lap. His mismatched eyes shifted across the table. The clergy was silent as they awaited his response. 

     "Well I...I um... I... you see uh..." He stuttered. Papa grinned as Copia started to crumble under his gaze. He shifted up on his seat and rested his elbows on the table, trying to be more intimidating. It seemed to work, as the man across from him sunk further into his chair. 

     "You're a very busy man, are you not? All of those new duties placed onto your shoulders must be heavy. It would be very relieving to have someone do some of that work for you, yes?" The small cardinal fiddled with his gloves under the table. Sweat started to develop on the back of his neck as he tried to come up with a response.

     "I-I like work." He said finally. Confused glances were exchanged across the table. That was not the answer Papa was expecting. He sat back down into his seat with furrowed brows. A light bulb suddenly went off in his head. 

     "Yes, who doesn't? Especially such a hard working man like you! But walking up and down the stairs is hardly work, is it? It just takes away from all the papers you need to fill out before the deadline. So without the messenger, it would actually mean less work for you. That's not what you want, right cardinal?"