Chapter 6- A Decorated Title

Tying up the last string of garland, you stepped back and admired your work. Christmas was a week away, and Bea and Beau were tasked with decorating the nave of the church. You were puzzled how only two people could cover the biggest room in the building, but there were limited members of the committee right now as some had gone back to their families to celebrate the holiday. Your friends had asked you for your help with this monumental deed. You didn't think theistic satanists would partake in a holy holiday, but you learned a few things about their version of Christmas.

     Firstly, they spelled it differently. Bea wrote it down on a piece of paper for you one day. It was spelled as 'Chrissmus'. It was kind of the dumbest thing you've ever seen, but she said it was more of a running joke in the church than anything. She told you the story of how a group of religious protesters blocked the entrance of the cathedral and demanded that they 'stopped taking their holiday and turning it into sin'. Papa Emeritus I was the head of the clergy at the time, and said that they weren't celebrating 'Christmas' but were instead celebrating something that sounded very similar. He told the convent later on that he came up with the spelling on the spot so he could get them to leave. It was a genius move on his part.

     Secondly, Christmas wasn't necessarily a religious holiday unless you made it to be. The tradition of a decorated tree could signify the everlasting life of Christ himself, but to others it was merely another knickknack that looked pretty. Instead of a star at the top though, they had a pentagram. You thought that was pretty funny. There was prayer to Satan at the dinner table, and gifts were from Santa or from the receiver's friends instead of God.

     When you first became a sister of sin, a big worry of yours was that you wouldn't be able to celebrate Christmas ever again. Sure, it may have been a very stressful event back at your old home but you had mostly good memories associated with it. You were very relieved to know that you could continue celebrating, albeit for different reasons. You didn't mind at all, gingerbread was still gingerbread at the end of the day.

     Speaking of gingerbread, you had everyone begging you to make some. The Christmas bake sale was a flying success, and your biscuits sold out before the next batch came out of the oven. Being so busy baking festive cookies, you hadn't had much time for yourself or the ghouls. In the past two weeks, you had only visited them five times, which upset a couple certain someones. You had promised to make it up to them by bringing them your famous delectables any time you could, even if you couldn't stay to hang out. Sometimes you'd pop by for five minutes and drop them off and then run back upstairs before anyone found out you were missing. You were being risky visiting them during the day. You had nearly been caught a handful of times already. You were grateful for your amazing sneaking skills developed in The Holy Church of the Messiah.

     There was a startled screech that came from behind you, following the unmistakable thud of a body hitting the floor. A quiet 'ow' was emitted from the victim of the fall. 

     "You dumbass, are you alright?" You asked, not even turning to see what happened. You knew your clumsy friend Beau was the cause of the disruption. You also knew what happened because Bea was losing her marbles laughing at her friend's pain. 

     "I'm fine... Stop laughing!" 

     "I'm sorry, I just can't help it!" She shrieked. Her laugh was contagious. You turned around giggling. 

     "This is like the third time, it shouldn't even be that funny anymore." Beau complained. 

     "That's why it's so funny, dude!" Bea cried. 

     "You and your damn lanky legs, Beau. I told you you shouldn't be on the ladder." You scolded him, still chuckling at the tall boy's misfortune. He grumbled in disdain, but he had a smile on his face that told you it was still pretty funny. Your fellow sister's makeup now started to run in streaks down her pale face.