Chapter 7- The Initiation

You weren't expecting to be sworn in so soon. Miss Imperator said she had to file some paperwork first and have a meeting with the rest of the clergy to inform them that this was happening, but it happened awfully quick. Papa had said that it had to do with the winter solstice. He tried to explain the relation between the tilt of the Earth's axis and how it correlates to magic, but seeing the confusion on your face, he told you not to worry about it. The whole 'magic' thing threw you off course, if you were to be honest. You guessed it had something to do with the art of witchcraft or something. 

     You haven't spoken with the head lady of the church since you met her, but before you left her office, she said to expect some ghouls to talk to you in the next couple of days. Just like she said, there was a knock on your door.

     It was around eleven P.M. on a Sunday. You had decided not to go out for a walk because you've been doing a lot of extra work lately and you were a little tired. You and your roommates made small talk as no one was tired enough to sleep yet. You had on a dusty pink satin nightgown and a blanket wrapped around your shoulders. Your fellow sisters had lightly teased you lightly about your old fashioned nightwear but you had them since you were a young teen and they were extraordinarily comfy, so you didn't really care. It was also the only set of pajamas you now owned. 

     As the knock came, you briefly glanced up from the book that was in your hands. Who was visiting at this time of night? Before you could put your novel down, one of your roommates got up to answer the door. You returned to your reading, but kept an eye on her. She peaked through the tiny crack, the guest on the other side making her gasp. This got the attention of everyone in the room. Your heads all turned to her and tried to hear the conversation being had between her and the visitor. The gap was too small for anyone but her to see or hear through. All of a sudden she closed the door and turned around.

     "(Y/n), it's for you." You furrowed your eyebrows and stood up, walking towards the door. No one ever came to visit you this late. They'd usually come find you in the halls if they needed, but you weren't there. You thought that maybe it'd be one of your friends who needed something. You weren't expecting it to be Aether.

     He didn't let you speak and instead cut to the chase. 

     "Good evening, (Y/n), you will be coming with me. I suggest bringing a robe and footwear with you, it is quite chilly." You immediately noticed that he was not in his usual casual clothing. 

     Aether had on a long black simar that reached down to his ankles and was buttoned all the way to his neck. There was a sash belt that wrapped around his waist. An elbow length cape was draped neatly on his shoulders, and a hood was pulled over his head. Even his mask was different. Instead of his usual silver horned face, he had on a black plague doctor-esque mask. The only reason you even knew it was Aether was because of his name symbol that was embroidered on his sash. You wondered what the special event was. 

     You nodded, saying nothing to his request. You closed the door in front of him and quickly gathered your things. 

     "Who is that?" Sister Erin asked. 

     "I'm not quite sure." you lied. You pulled on your white slipper flats and poked your arms through a thin but warm blue satin house robe that came in a set with your pajamas. 

     "Where are you going?" Your roommates looked at you with concern. 

     "I don't know," you sighed, "but I'll be gone for a bit. Don't worry about leaving the door unlocked, I have a feeling I won't be back tonight. Sweet dreams, everyone." You opened the door and closed it behind you quietly. You made sure to pull your clothes away from it so you didn't shut them in the crack.