Chapter 2- A little Heart to Heart

"(Y/n), where the fuck were you?" Papa asked in an exasperated tone. "I've been waiting for you to come find me for half an hour, it's quarter to twelve." 

     You just rounded the corner after coming up from the basement. You didn't think you were down there for that long. Aether said he'd only be twenty minutes, but you must've been with the ghouls for well over thirty. You raised your hand to show him the package Aether gave you to deliver. Papa took it from you and briefly examined it while you explained.

     "Don't yell at me Papa, it wasn't my fault. Your ghouls were feeling extra friendly tonight." The youngest Emeritus's face was cast in a shadow as his back was turned to the moon in the window he was leaning on. Despite that, you could still see the horrified expression on it. He quickly placed the package on the window sill behind him. 

     "Satanae apud inferno, I am so sorry cara mea! Are you okay?" He held your face in his cold hands and gently inspected it whilst profusely mumbling apologies and endearing nicknames. 

     "Papa I'm fine-"

     "You have a tendency to say that, especially when you're not. I'm not falling for it again." He moved his hands down to your shoulders and then to your arms, turning and lifting them as he went. He grabbed the book out of your hand and not so gently tossed it to the floor, a loud crash emitting from it. You tried to snap him out of his blind panic.

     "When I meant friendly I actually meant they were very kind to me, I sw-"

     "They didn't touch you in any way?" You furrowed your brows. He turned you around by the waist and examined your back and legs. 

     "I mean Multi was a little touchy but like in an affectionate kind of way-"

     "Those damn ghouls, I'll fucking kill them-" 

     "Papa! Listen to me!" You grabbed him by his wrists to stop his frantic searching. His jaw was clenched firmly. You could tell he wasn't done checking you, but he waited for you to speak. 

     "It's okay, they didn't hurt me," You cupped his cheek in your palm.

     "I was actually excited to see you to tell you about how wonderful they were. They didn't have any intentions of harming me in any way. They were just excited to see someone new, that's all. I'm sure you'll never hear the end of it when you go back down to see them." Papa's eyes bore deeply into yours. You could see them flicker back and fourth across your face, trying to find deception in your statement. Finding nothing, he closed his lids and sighed in relief. His hand came to yours and held it closer to him. Were the ghouls so dangerous as to emit this response?

     "I'm so sorry cara... I wasn't thinking. I shouldn't have sent you down alone. I could have seriously hurt you. Placere parce mihi dilectione mea..." Papa slightly turned his head so his lips were on the palm of your hand and kissed it. His other hand was now back on your waist but no longer looking for injury. Your hand was placed on his cloaked bicep. You had no idea why he was so upset. 

     "Papa, what's making you so uptight? They're your ghouls, you know them better than anyone else would." He opened his eyes but didn't look at you. His chest rose with a breath and leveled as he exhaled. The air blowing out from his nostrils tickled your skin. 

     "They may be my ghouls, but they're ghouls nonetheless. They have their instincts that can sometimes get the better of them. My ghouls are mostly well behaved, but there are days where they have their moments."

     "Instincts?"

     "Instinct to harm, to fuck, to fight, to protect their territory... they can be quite a handful. Usually they just get a little antsy in the pants, but one wrong move can send them into a fit. Especially that little one..." You giggled as you remembered Fire's temper tantrum. Or better, his multiple temper tantrums.