Chapter 5- Them Rats!

He watched you as you thumbed the large petals of a flower. Rain had promised to take you back to the greenhouse you passed on the shortcut to the convent, so he wasted no time and told you to wait for him at the top of the basement steps the next night. He once again took your hand in his and led you through the vast corridors. You didn't know why, but you made yourself a little extra presentable. You wore the same black dress and tights, but you polished your grucifix and shined your shoes. You did that on a bi weekly basis anyway, but you put a little more care into it this time. It was important to look tidy any day of the week. In your old church, looking unkempt was a sign of laziness and disobedience. Rain may have comforted you by saying that you weren't in any danger of being kicked out for something so silly, but that kind of thing doesn't just go away.

     "Did you know there's 200 species of hibiscus? They're one of my favourite plants because you can cross pollinate them to get new colors." You didn't look away from the flower as you spit random facts about the flora surrounding you. Rain couldn't remove his eyes from your form. 

     You looked like a rain forest fairy tending to her precious garden. Your hair shined with the rays of the billions of stars in the galaxy. Your skin was paled by the moon that drew out sharper features from the shadows it casted on your face. Your dress fit you in all the right places. His pupils followed your hands stroking the lamb's ear leaves while you continued to ramble on about every plant you touched. He sat on the little wooden bench that was in the process of being taken over by the foliage, absorbing the view. The moon was high in the sky and illuminated the greenhouse just enough to where there was no need for lights. 

     His heart hadn't slowed since the day before. All he could think about was the roughness of your hand and the smell of your perfume and the tone of your laugh and... he was infatuated by your very being. He wanted nothing more than to see that damn smile that captured every inch of his soul. He knew that his little crush would eventually pass, but he reveled in it while it was still there.

     "Whatchya thinkin' about, love?" Rain snapped from his thoughts. His cheeks burned up so quickly that it made him dizzy. He wanted you to call him that all the time. 

     "Just about uh... flowers." You giggled. He felt endorphins rush through his blood. You made him absolutely euphoric.

     "Well, I think I bored myself with the facts, should we go back now?" Rain didn't really want this to end, but he knew that you'd agree to hang out again. 

     "If that's what you'd like, that's okay with me." He stood up. You took his hand in yours. 

     "For safety." You told him. Thank Satan for the masks, he was grinning like a complete dumbass.

___________________________________________________

     "Here, let me help you with that, woah-!" You dove to catch a book falling out of the hands of its owner. 

     "Gratias tibi, (Y/n). I should've made two trips instead of one." The rebel book was held firmly in your grip as you stood back up. You took a stack of texts from the cardinal. 

     "Have I not told you that you could always ask me if you needed help with something? I just saw you a couple of minutes ago." You scolded playfully. The newest clergy member was bashful,

     "Paenitet carissimi, I know. I didn't want to bother you. I don't know what I was thinking, some of these books are older than Papa Nihil..." You chuckled. 

     "You will never bother me if you're asking for assistance. It's my job." He looked at you strangely.

     "You're the messenger now?" You couldn't let him know that you knew what the messenger role was. You had to play dumb.