Chapter 8- First Impressions

It was so pleasantly dark. The heavy layers of blankets surrounded you in just the right way. The pillow cradled your head perfectly. The curtains blocked the sun's light just enough to where you knew it was morning. You didn't want to move at all. You had never felt this comfy before. You thought you'd have to sneak up to the cardinal's room to get this feeling, but this... this was all yours.

     Without opening your eyes, you stretched out your limbs under the thick comforter. Your spine popped and cracked, relieving it of the stiffness you awoke with. Your muscles relaxed after tensing them to wake up. Even though your eyes nearly refused to, you opened them. Your room was barely lit by the rays peeking through the blackout curtains. It was the most peaceful you have ever felt. You could definitely get used to this. Your body protested as you started to get up. You'd give almost anything to be able to stay in bed a little longer, but it was your first day of work, and you were rather excited. Yes, you'd be working side by side with the second-oldest and grumpiest member of the Emeritus household, but it was a new experience nonetheless. As your feet touched the floor and ached, you looked at the time. Seven twenty-six A.M. You had to be at Papa's office by eight. You didn't have much time to get ready before you left, but if you started now, you'd arrive on the dot.

     Stumbling to the bathroom, you took in your appearance. You didn't look nearly as dreadful as you did last night. You were able to wash off all the blood and soot that stuck to your skin. You brushed your teeth and fixed yourself to look like you didn't just wake up. You slipped on your usual black white-collared dress and pulled up your tights. You buckled your shoes tightly onto your feet. You were about to head out your bedroom door when you remembered that you almost forgot some things.

     Searching through your clothes bag, you pulled out your necklace with the shiny silver grucifix pendant and clipped it around your neck, making sure to tuck the chain under your collar. You then walked over to your dark brown dresser to collect your messenger pin. It was strange to remember that you were no longer 'Sister (Y/n)', but were now 'Nuntius (Y/n)'. Your friends were going to tease you about that non-stop. After rubbing the face of the pin on the cloth of your dress to rid it of fingerprints, you stuck it onto your breast and made sure it wasn't tilted. Satisfied, you took your phone and ring of keys and started to head out.

     You paused at your front door, noticing there was a letter slipped under it. Picking up the manila envelope, you read the front; 'Nuntius (Y/n)'. You pried open the red wax seal. In a very neat script, it read "It is imperative that you do not forget your pin and keys. You will be needing them every day. -Sister Imperator" You decided it would be a good idea to tape that to the front of the door as a reminder.

     Stepping outside and then swiftly back inside to grab your coat, you finally headed off to the cafeteria to pick up some breakfast and a coffee. You weren't that into coffee, you just wanted to impress your boss on the first day. Papa, in the midst of one of his long and angry rants about his brother, let it slip that his second-oldest brother liked his coffee black with two sugars. He grumbled about how 'black coffee tastes like Satan's asshole' and that 'just because you add sugar to it doesn't make your taste in coffee any less shitty'. With that description, you were put off on ever having a sip. It wasn't for you though, so you didn't actually care.

     Your heavily broken in shoes clacked on the stone floor as you made your way down the stairs. It was a Monday now, and the first day of winter at that, so a good couple of brothers and sisters were already up and about. You greeted them as you passed. 

     "Good morning, Sister Lacey." 

     "Good morning, Nuntius (Y/n)! Congratulations on the promotion!" You widened your eyes in surprise. How did she already know?