Chapter 1- Babysitting

Your eyelids were heavy as you stirred awake from your sleep. Brushing away the crust from the corner of your eyes you sat up. A satisfying pop emitted from your stiff joints when you stretched your arms above your head. Looking around your room, you noticed your roommates already left for breakfast. You were glad that they were considerate enough to be quiet while they got dressed, or that you were a sound sleeper. Your old roommates were not so kind as to keep it hush hush. You can't even recall how many times they would throw a pillow at your head to scare you awake. You didn't miss that one bit.

     For the short five or so months that you began to reside in the convent of this church of sin, waking up every morning never felt so good. You'd arise at eight on the dot and head to the cafeteria where you'd grab a breakfast bar and then be on your way to a class or to study. You've made lots of friends whom you could trust and laugh with. Sister Beatrice (or just Bea) and Brother Beau were like actual brother and sister to you. You spent a lot of time playing games at lunch and supper as well as communal work for the church and the surrounding town. You thoroughly enjoyed working beside them. You were able to find your laugh again. They said it suited you well. 

     As much as you love to spend time with your friends, you also found comfort in walking down the vast halls alone while reading a book or planning fundraisers and such. You felt like your own boss, and that's all you wanted. The amount of freedom the church gave you baffled your mind, but you didn't dare to complain. This was the happiest you've ever been. You were surrounded by like-minded people who usually just wanted the best for their community. You smiled when you passed by fellow brothers and sisters and greeted the clergy members if you happened to spot them. Sometimes you would strike up a conversation and you'd leave with a big grin on your face and a chuckle in your chest. A couple of weeks after your arrival, you were able to recall the familiar faces you passed by often, greeting everyone by their names. They seemed to like it that you always remembered. 

     The church didn't have a strict dress code other than to wear your necklace and be presentable in public. Modesty was not an issue here. You were given an allowance by the church to pick out some outfits that you'd be able to wear along with your upside-down cross (which you later learned was called a grucifix). You popped into some stores on the main street of the little town that was now your home, but nothing had really peaked your interest. It wasn't until you were headed home that you saw the perfect outfit in the window of a corner shop. The owner was kind and said that it was a 3 for one special on everything that had a red tag. Unfortunately the dress was not on sale but then the shop owner whipped out a red sharpie and drew a line across the bar code. You had a skip in your step as you walked back to the convent with 3 of the same dress in a bag on your arm. It was a simple black long sleeved cotton dress that came down to right above the knees. You starched and ironed the collar every wash day. It was always pristine white and you made sure to scrub the devil out of it in the bathroom if you ever stained it.

 ___________________________________________________________

    It was another day of you patrolling up and down the halls of the church. This was your favorite part of the day. Not only did you get to catch up on your reading, but you got to move around freely and explore the grounds. There were places you weren't allowed to go like the whole top floor or the basement as well as a select few rooms and hallways. but you didn't mind. You took the same path every day, making sure you hit everywhere you can go. It takes you around an hour because of your leisurely pace. Usually it takes longer because of you sitting down on a windowsill, but it's autumn now and the church had very chilly stone walls that get even colder at night. You wear thicker stockings and a black knitted shawl and jump up and down if you get too cold. Today was no different.