Lie Detector

A creak on the floorboard behind you caused you to flinch, instantly rethinking your situation. You cringed before turning back, seeing who you expected. It was 6:30am on a Saturday morning, and Matt was standing between the bedroom doorframe, a confused look settling on his face.

"Y/N? What happened? Are you going somewhere?" He asked, squinting his eyes as if he was trying to see you better. Obviously, that was impossible.

You played off a dry laugh. "Me? No. Don't worry about it. Go back to sleep, I didn't mean to wake you."

Matt furrowed his eyebrows together. "Where are you going?"

"Nowhere." You replied, way too quickly.

You knew about Murdock's abilities, but you didn't really think about the extent of them all that much. He had told you about being Daredevil a few months into your relationship, and you obviously took it very well. But because you didn't understand it too much either, you didn't realize that Matt could hear your heartbeat start to speed up at that very moment.

He was confused for a moment, but then it hit him. You were lying. You had never lied to him before.

A pang of betrayal hit him with a rush.

The pause between both of you gave you a chance to turn around and try to escape the awkward situation. It was too late now, he knew you were up to something. It was better to get out of there and then explain, at least that's what you thought.

Swiftly, though, in the split second that you turned, Murdock caught your hand.

"Why are you lying to me?" He demanded, a subtle amount of grief in his voice.

"Matt I-" you trailed off. Your plan was spiraling, and Matt seemed to be hurt right now. This was not what you intended.

"I what?" He questioned you, his voice fragile. He trusted you, and hundreds of thoughts were swarming his head. WHY would you lie to him? He couldn't wrap his mind around it.

"Look, it's really not what you think. I promise you."

Matt didn't let go of your hand. He just fixed his gaze at you and tried to sense your emotions.

He senses anger.

"You're mad at me? Really?" He demanded now, his temper rising slightly. His eyes watered, but he didn't let himself react to it, "I would think the roles should be reversed in this situation."

"What? You don't even know what you're talking about. " You snapped back this time. You were getting angry because this was not going how it was meant to go.

"What am I talking about then, Y/N? What could it be?!" Matt insisted.

You clenched your teeth, tears brimming at the edge of your eyes.

"You really want to know? Fine!" You shouted, digging deep into the bag that hung around your shoulder. You pulled out a piece of paper and stuffed it into his arms. Your sharp motions  ripped the edge of the paper off in a small jagged shape, the first letters of "Daily Times" falling to the ground.

"Since you can't read it yourself, I'll read it for you!" You scowled, a little coldly, but still read aloud "Nelson and Murdock voted best law firm in Hell's Kitchen, possibly to be rated best in county." 

Matt blinked, not understanding. The tone of your voice changed, though, and it seemed to be you who was hurt now. He didn't understand.

"I was heading out early to see if I could sneak away and get you a surprise cake. I knew you hadn't seen the news yet so...yeah." You finished, wiping away a tear that had fallen onto your cheek.

You weren't sad or anything, it was just the aggravation of your surprise being foiled that made you this way. You didn't know why Matt had reacted that way, you thought he trusted you.

Matt stared blankly at you, finally seeming to understand. He walked forward and took your hand, gently now.

"Y/N I'm so sorry. I didn't realize..." He sighed, "I'm an ahole. I shouldn't have reacted like that."

You frowned, less upset now that he wasn't mad, but still upset with him for ruining your surprise.

"I thought you trusted me. I mean, I'm sorry I know I shouldn't have lied about where I was going but I would never EVER lie to hurt you. I thought you knew that."

Matt took a deep breath. "I do trust you. You have nothing to apologize for. My stupid self jumped to conclusions. I don't know what I was thinking."

You sighed. "Just...next time, really trust me Matt, okay? Trust me like I trust you.  I promise you, I will never try to hurt you."

Matt seemed on the verge of tears. He held your hands together with his.

"I love you so much," he muttered. He looked down at you. "Will you forgive me?"

You looked up, embraced him, and kissed his cheek. "Always."

When you looked back down, you saw the piece of paper that had fallen. It has flipped over, revealing a part of a coupon you had been planning on using. That reminded you...

"Hey Matt?" You asked him, your head placed on his shoulder as you hugged him at the moment.

"Hmm?"

"There's still that cake I need to pick up it you don't mind coming with me now."

"Ofc, y/n...I'm sorry for ruining the surprise."

You put your finger to his lips. "Stop. Don't worry about it. At least we're skipping to the good part now. Speaking of which, congratulations. I really don't want to hear anymore from you though-"

Matt grinned, cutting you off and pulling you in closer for a kiss.

That worked too.