A Devil's Flame

You screamed.

There was nobody else in the room at the moment that caused you to, though, except if you were counting yourself...and the burning bundle of paper that was formerly a book just a few seconds ago. Not to mention the fact that you were still holding it. And it was still in flames.

Immediately, you lunged for a glass of water, nearly dropping the burning book onto the ground. Luckily, you didn't, as that would have ignited several other flammable substances.

As you drenched the crispy book into the  water, you could only sigh as it's pages deteriorated to the ground. You muttered something unintelligible, then picked up the pieces and threw them into a garbage bag which was already full of burnt debris.

You didn't know how much more of this you could take. You didn't know what to do.

All day things had been bursting into flames. You had tried to believe otherwise, but you had to admit the fact that this was happening whenever you touched it. It was more than coincidental now.

It has started about a week ago, a match had lit in your hands without you even striking it against anything first. That was just the start. Things had progressed from there, until you were here now, locked in your bedroom, trying not to set your apartment on fire.

The phone rang. You buried your face in your hands, wondering whether you should pick it up or not. Scared and confused, you hadn't talked to anybody in the last few days. You had just been trying to survive the days, hoping to wake up and have whatever this was gone.  When the phone continued to ring, you realized that maybe it wouldn't hurt to speak to someone.

Going over to your phone, you picked it up and pulled it to your ear. You didn't even read the contact, you were glad enough just to hear any human voice at the moment.

"Y/n?" The voice asked, and you immediately recognized it.

"Matt?" You asked, knowing full well that it was him now, "What's up?"

"What's up?" Matt repeated, "y/n what's going on? I haven't heard from you for the last couple days. You didn't go to work today. We were supposed to have lunch this afternoon too."

You mentally slapped yourself. You had been so upset and confused this whole time, you had forgotten to do anything concerning your life. Matt was your neighbor, basically, as he lived right down the hall in your apartment building. You and him were close friends, although his charming personality always kept your heart on a brink. You felt that he looked at you sometimes and thought the same, but always thought it would be awkward to bring up.

On a further note, you had forgotten you made plans with him.

"I'm so sorry, Matt. It completely slipped my mind."

"That's fine, y/n, I'm just really more concerned on how you're doing." He replied, his voice tense.

You produced a fake laugh. "I'm fine, don't worry. How did you know I didn't go to work this morning, anyway?"

Matt paused, wondering why he could hear untruthfulness in your voice, "I didn't hear you leave your apartment after I left for work."

You chuckled awkwardly. "Ah okay. Don't worry about me though, Matt, I'm just a little sick."

Matt paused again, "In that case, I can stop by and make you some soup or something. I'm at the law firm right now, well, leaving actually, so I'll be there in a few minutes."

Although your heart was helplessly calling out for someone to come and help you figure out what was happening to you, your brain thought otherwise. You could hurt someone, they couldn't see you like this.