Candlelight Culinary

You smelt it before you entered the apartment.

It caught you by surprise, really, because you had expected nothing more than the sour scent of wet carpet and the sweaty odor of everyone else in the building's hallway. That's what you had been smelling, up until you reached Matt's door.

Now, your stomach grumbled. It smelt like  takeout, but you normally only ever ordered pizza. You smirked curiously, wondering if he was planning a surprise.

You took out your key and unlocked the door, walking inside to find Matt fumbling with a sauce pan that he ran to pour over some pasta and meatloaf before you could see. You suppressed a laugh, but couldn't help but smile at the cheesy romantic setup.

The lights were dimmer, conveniently dampened by a small (and hopefully unflammable) cloth that was placed over one of the lamps. There were candles lit in the middle of the table, and a single rose was placed near your plate.

Wiping his hands off of sauce on a towel, Matt hurried over to your chair and flashed you a cheeky grin.

"Take a seat, Mon amour," he invited, his arms stretched out comically as he signaled the chair. His accent was a bit off, but he was trying.

You laughed and threw off your boots. You strode over to the chair and gently placed yourself onto it.

"How romantic, monsieur. " You teased, as he now filled up your glass with sparkling cider.

He grinned eagerly and once he finished, went to sit down on his own seat. He looked at you with a smile, waiting for you to take a bite of your food. You looked up at him and smiled suspiciously, now having picked up your fork.

"You cooked all of this by yourself?" You asked him with a smirk.

He smiled. "Well you helped, technically, as my motivation, y/n."

Laughing, you now took a bite of the meatloaf. After swallowing, you were quite shocked.  You squinted and then looked back down at the food. Then back up at Matt.

"Is it good?" He asked uneasily.

"Good?! Matt I didn't know you could cook." You laughed, quite surprised.

"...is that a yes?" Matt asked.

"Matt, it's delicious." You laughed again, "You have to cook more often now."

Matt smiled again, relieved that you liked it. "Well it's been a while, but I'll make the effort." He winked.

Taking another bite of the food, which Matt had started to eat too when he realized you were as well, you smiled while thinking of something.

"What?" Matt grinned, sensing your emotion.

You shook your head and smiled. "I was just thinking..."

Trailing off, you stood up quickly and walked to the kitchen. Matt looked confused for a second, but was relieved again when you came back quickly. You were holding something in your hands.

"What's that?" He asked, wondering whether to be concerned or excited. At the moment, he was both.

You didn't reply, just giggled. When you stepped back, Matt felt the familiar fabric of something you had bought once but never wore a few months back, since you didn't seem to ever need it.

"Y/n..." He grinned, shaking his head, knowing exactly what it was.

He was wearing a funny looking red apron, embroidered with hearts and a few little butterflies. It read, 'Kiss the cook', in a fancy font.

"Don't mind if I do," you grinned, leaning forward and giving him a peck on his cheek.

He frowned. "That's all I get?"

Laughing, you sat back down. "Let me finish this marvelous meal first, mister."

Matt thought about it for a second. "You know, if I get paid in kisses for everytime I cook, I'm pretty sure I could work that out more often."

"You better," you teased, "I'd love to see you more in that flattering outfit of yours."

He smirked. "Well since you're asking so nicely, I can't really say no, can I?"

You laughed. After a moment, he picked up his plate and put it into the sink, taking yours too since you had finished it now. He didn't wash it yet though, instead, he leaned against the doorframe and grinned while facing in your direction.

"Well, I'm really glad you enjoyed your meal. I think you still owe this cook a few more kisses, though."

You rolled your eyes, coming up to him now and hugging his neck. "Well since you're asking so nicely, I really can't say no, can I?" You teased.