Breathe

Your footsteps echoes against the empty sidewalk as you walked home  You had gotten off of your shift just a bit earlier, as you worked evenings at a film studio but had to stay and finish up some extra projects before you left.

You looked at the time on your phone, it was nearly 7:30 pm. You usually got off around an hour earlier, so you were surprised that you hadn't gotten any messages from your boyfriend, Matt. You hadn't gotten a chance to text him, so you did now as quickly as you could.

"Sorry I just got off work. Coming home now <3" you muttered aloud as you typed. You hit send and heard the little ting that let you know the message was delivered.

After a moment, you looked back at the screen. You saw that the message was shown as read, but there was no response. That was odd. To have read it, Matt's phone had an app that spoke out loud any messages or text. With his super senses, which you knew about, Matt didn't always need it, but phones were a bit tricky for him to use sometimes.

You wondered why he didn't respond, but shrugged it off as you approached his apartment. You walked up the front stairs, as the elevator was broken but nobody ever seemed to get the chance to fix it, and walked to his door, which was locked.

At that point, you became a bit worried. It was a habit of his to wait for you at the door when he sensed you enter the building. Usually, he carried a cocky grin and would greet you charmingly, as if it were the first time he had met you.

He wasn't here now, though.

You weren't always late, but on the occasion that you were, his habits had never changed. You wondered if maybe he had left, but where would he go? You dug through your purse and pulled out a key, unlocking the apartment door.

You pulled off your coat and slipped off your shoes, placing your handbag down by the ground. 

"Matt? Are you home?" You called out.

There was no reply, so you turned on the light and walked down the hallway. You thought you heard a slight noise in the living room, so you headed over there instead.

Before you even entered the room, you saw him. Matt was kneeled down on the ground against the back wall, broken flower pots and papers scattered around him, and his phone smashed to pieces right next to him. He had his hands covering his ears, his eyes darting around blindly and frantically.

You gasped, confused, immediately thinking he was hurt. You ran down next to him and held his arms.

"Oh my god, Matt, what's wrong?" You asked him, looking to see where he was injured. The only thing you could find, though, was a small cut on his have that seemed to have been made by a fragment of the broken pot.

Matt squinted and clenched his eyes closed, releasing on hand off of his ear to try and feel your face. He still didn't respond back to you, and then you realized.

Once he had told you about these sensory attacks that he would get, rarely, though. It was similar to anxiety attacks, which you were familiar with, but seemingly worse. Looking at him now you realized this was what was happening to him.

You let go of his arms and grabbed hold of his hands, placing them so he could feel your face and assure him that you were there. You took your own hands and covered his ears, placing your forehead on his own.

"Shhh..just breathe." You whispered to him, as quietly as you could. It was barely over the sound of a breath, but he heard you since his breathing started to calm down.

You nodded and continue, "I'm going to breath with you. Focus on that. You're okay, I'm here. "

You could feel him slowly start to calm down, and when his eyes stopped dodging around and he started to become himself again, you placed a kiss on his forehead and finally let go.

Matt sighed and leaned against the wall, now holding your hand.

"Are you okay?" You whispered, and he faced your direction and nodded, aiming for a smile.

"Thank you for that, y/n. I'm really sorry."

You frowned. "Don't apologize, you obviously didn't want that to happen."

He laughed gently. "I don't know what I would do without you. How did you know that would help me?"

You shrugged. "It was the first thing that came to mind."

He smiled again, this time placing a hand on the ground and trying to get up. He was still a little disoriented from his episode, so you helped him. While getting up, he kicked a clump of electronic parts on the floor.

"Was that my phone?" He sighed.

"I'm afraid so." You winced at the totaled electronic device. It looked more like scrap metal now.

"Sorry," he cringed, "I heard your text, but it was so loud in my head that I just reacted instantly. I didn't mean to actually break it."

"Oh no, my text did that? I didn't know. I'm sorry, that must have been painful. "

He shook his head. "It wasn't your fault."

"Do you know what triggered it?" You asked him, sitting down on the couch with him now as you fixed his hair.

"Just...noise. Stress. I don't really know."

You nodded knowingly. "It's okay, we can try to talk about that later. Right now, just relax."

You kissed his cheek and he smiled. He gave you a hug, which after a moment ended up with you laying down, resting your head on his arm while he held you tightly from behind. It was a pretty comfortable position, especially as he planted kisses on your neck.

"Are you okay now?" You asked again, just making sure. You didn't want him overwhelming himself.

He smiled. "As long as you're in my arms, I'll be just fine y/n."