Amnesia

Before this chapter starts, I'd just like to apologize for publishing this chapter in such long intervals from the rest. I took a break from writing for a while now that summer break is here, but I think you guys would enjoy a few more stories, and I more than enjoy writing them :) More to come <3

- Arcane 🤎

     The sky casted a shadow over your desperate situation, not only adding onto the worry that you were feeling, but setting the scene for something probably worse.

You laughed.

Honestly, you were definitely overstating the situation. Anybody who knew you, though, also knew that you could be dramatic at some points. Blame it on being an avid reader or fictional thrill seeker, but you liked to create internal monologues sometimes.

And being stranded in the center of New York's most dangerous area, Hells Kitchen, was an appropriate time for you to start monologuing your anxiety away.

You had been on your way to work; you lived right across from a bank on the other side of the city, and your usual bus route had been closed off. You had to take your car instead, but suddenly the engine light had turned on and the whole car shut off. Knowing nothing of cars, you had to call your work and tell them you wouldn't be able to make it today. The towing company gave you about a two hour wait, and you couldn't walk back home. Not a lot of taxis we're willing to come through this area either.

Your work, though, hadn't been too happy about this. Just about 7 months ago you  had to leave for about 3 weeks while you were stuck in a coma. They had said that you had gotten into an accident somehow, gaining severe head trauma, but you couldn't remember how. You had some mild memory loss, but the doctors assured you that you had nothing to worry about. For some reason, though, since that moment, you had fallen into a state of feeling miserable and alone almost every day.  Ever since then too, your work wasn't too lenient about you taking time off. 

It was then when you decided to ask for some help, possibly to some kind hearted stranger who would be passing by. Although that was extremely far fetched.

Sitting on top of your car's trunk, you noticed a man walking across the street, over into a building on the other side. You squinted to read the words on the hanging sign, 'Nelson and Murdock.' Ah, a law firm. The name felt familiar, you thought maybe you had seen it on a billboard. Those type of people should be pretty trustworthy, right?

Standing up, you waved your arms around and shouted for assistance. You saw the man tense up and freeze for a moment, pausing and pretending he didn't hear you. Then, oddly enough, he turned his head to face you. He had dark red glasses on, so you couldn't quite tell his expression, but after shouting again, he slowly creeped over.

"Hi!" You called out, relieved that he had come to help you but a bit nervous that he might be dangerous. After all, you knew what type of people lived in this area. Also, though, you felt an ache inside of you. You couldn't tell why you felt very upset. It was quite intense, almost as if you were sick. Maybe it was a gut feeling of some sort, telling you to run fast?

"Hi..." the man said, trailing off in his words, gulping and standing still far from you. You thought you saw him trembling.

Now stuck in this ordeal, you thought the least you could do was ask him for the help you had originally been calling him for.