2 - surprising the surprise

Josephine Langford

The week flew by in the blink of an eye as today marks the day we leave for our vacation. With hospital, college, and shopping and planning for the trip, I didn't even realize how fast the time passed by.

It had hit me when it was time for packing, how amateur I was when it came to vacation clothes-- you couldn't blame me. After all, I am the least experienced person you'd find when it came to "trips"

But having Kiara to guide me, her being the expert in these things, it became easier but she was very commanding when we went out shopping for my clothes. And I couldn't even argue back, so three-fourths of my clothes are picked and packed by her as she stood hovering above my head when I packed, making sure I didn't leave any of the two pieces out.

Unlike always, she wasn't late to the airport today-- probably because of her excitement for the trip. New York to Costa Rica is a five-hour trip and we have no idea how we're going to travel with a one-year-old.

But being a new mom, Kiara is awfully calm and surprisingly handling everything pretty great-- which keeps me relieved too. Eva is very unflustered and enjoying her first flight experience while her mom is flirting with one of the flight attendants.

"You okay Jo?" she asks me when she's done philandering with the guy, and I return my attention to her.

"Yes, I'm fine" giving her a knowing smile, I nod my head at her.

When I asked her that out of all places, why Costa Rica-- she informed me that Chris has newly bought a beach house there and she claims that it's "beaut"

Throughout the whole flight, it was only once that Eva made a fuss-- while landing, except that she was wonderful-- sleeping, gazing at the people around, or being mesmerized by the clouds I kept pointing for her.

I could say that I'm tired, but I'm really not. I'm actually fascinated to be traveling again, after ages. The last time I traveled was from Perth to New York, the day I was moving, which was easily three years ago.

As the people start unloading their bags from above their seats, blocking the way for other people to move, and creating chaos as everyone whispers along with the flight attendant ranting about something. Eva starts to feel uneasy and Kiara, being the fierce mother she is, shoves a person who was pressing against our seat to remove their bag.

"Get the fuck out of my way. God!" she huffs in annoyance as she gets up from her seat and I silently thank myself for choosing the inside seat.

"Want me to take her?" she asks, not caring that she is holding a line of people from their exit, referring to her daughter who's nearly asleep on my chest.

"No it's alright, I got her" I carefully support her neck while shifting out of the seats and letting out a sigh as I stand up on my feet after constant hours of sitting. 

The moment we get out of the airplane, we're welcomed by the warm breeze of Costa Rica. I've never been here before, but I already love this place.

"Chris should be right outside the gate" Kiara informs, putting her sunglasses on as she holds onto her black bag hung down her shoulder.

It was not even minutes later that Eva dozed off as her body got heavier on my torso, her serene face rested on my chest, and I adjusted my grip on her as we walked out of the luggage claim. Kiara didn't let me take one bag and pushed both the carts herself, promising that she wouldn't have to hold them for long too, I don't reckon how Chris could refuse her demand, no one can.