17 - a step closer

Josephine Langford

"I miss you already"  Daxton's voice rings through the phone and I smile to myself, knowing exactly what he's up to. We just landed in San Fransico, collected our bags, and are on the way to the arrivals. It's about 6 pm and I have drained every ounce of energy with the 6-hour flight and my mind messed up about the wedding and all the things that could go wrong, even though it isn't my wedding. So I picked up my phone and called the only person whose voice can bring me comfort, and I knew he would have just gotten home after a long day.

"Oh please. You're jubilant having the apartment all by yourself. So you can wear those yellow boxers I hate so much" I shake my head, and am responded to by his hearty laughter that confirms everything I said.

"Ah but with Andy giving me a hard time, I can't really seem to focus on the list of things I can do with you gone"   He couldn't come with me because of Andy, who has caught some sort of infection and it being really bad, he couldn't leave him all alone, which I understood of course. This is the first time in our relationship we would be away from each other for so long, the last time was him flying to Ohio for some veterinary convention for three days and we just missed each other so much, especially I because I wasn't used to him not being around so much, or not being one call away from a long drive.

"I'm sure you'll work on it baby, you've got seven days" I tease, following Kiara who walks faster than I remember. I can't seem but notice that she is so pumped and stressed about the wedding, I mean I don't blame her but it is weird seeing the Kiara who wouldn't give a fuck less about everything now trying to catch up on her schedules.

"Have a great time, Jo. I'll call you in the morning?" 

"Yes, good night" hanging up the phone, I slide it into my jacket's pocket before gripping onto the push cart with our bags and halting to where she stands, her phone pressed against her ear as her eyebrows furrow in distress.

"Christopher! You couldn't have- oh fuck you" she abruptly hangs up the call, and lets out a deep sigh, from which I assume that her fiance was supposed to pick us up but he couldn't for some reason, which makes her irritated. "We'll have to take a cab apparently" she turns to me, then towards the cab stand. 

"Oh that's fine" I shrug my shoulders, making my way towards the stand. During the flight, she insisted that I stay with her instead of the hotel, but unlike all other times, I won the argument. And she eventually had to give in because I wasn't going to act like we have been besties all along and go stay with her at her home.

Chris and her bought a house a year ago and moved in pretty soon after that. She informs me it has been great for their little family, and also to my extra knowledge she slipped in that they certainly enjoy the weekends when Eva is with Hero, and they have the house all to themselves. Having no other option but to listen to all her information, I kept nodding and 'oh'ing, but I must admit I missed her useless information and rants. Some things haven't changed after all.

"You sure you don't wanna come with me? You can come back to the hotel after the party" She asks when the driver pulls over in the driveway of the fancy hotel they booked, and I give her a small smile shaking my head politely.

"I would have, but I could really use a nap." I push the door open and she clicks her tongue, whispering an 'okay' before I step out and grab my bags from the trunk.

"See you tonight?"

"See you tonight" I give her one last wave before they leave the driveway, and I let out a sigh to myself. 

Tonight is the bachelorette party, and it sucks that I'll be the outcast and not know anyone there. It will be like high school parties all over again. But it's not that I can even do something about it. Or make excuses to stay home. Because it is her wedding we're talking about, and I'd never thought I'd live to see this period.

As I settle in my room, changed into sweats, and with the TV on, I take out the bracelet around my wrist and keep it on the side table. I don't even know why I brought it with me, but subconsciously I did. I don't even think it's a big deal, he won't even remember it.

I'm not even sure if he will remember me.

All I can do is either cook up assumptions or wait till the rehearsal dinner when I see him. Which is in two days, so I don't have to worry about it.

Ignoring the fact that my stomach gnaws every time I picture us meeting again, I decide to take a nap before walking into a night of booze and music, with Kiara either complaining about getting married, or celebrating it. Either way, ending up wasted and passing out.

~

According to the slightly inappropriate theme provided by the bride herself, I dress up in the black mini dress she forced into my bag, the dress I was going to surprise Daxton with on his birthday night. It is sleeveless, with a criss-cross deep neck, and even though I love the way I look in it, it is really weird to wear this in December, and in front of all the people, I don't even know.

But I remind myself, "for Kiara, Jo. For Kiara"

When I reach their house, standing on their porch, it almost overwhelms me. Before i could gather myself up, the front door opens, interrupting my thoughts when my eyes meet the guy's standing in front of me.

"Chris" I greet, taking in how much he has grown the last time I saw him— even though he almost looks the same, yet more mature and handsome.

He scoffs as his arms instantly wrap around me, pulling me into a tight welcome hug, and both of us expressing the way we missed each other, without a word exchanged.

I never thought seeing him again after years would affect me this much, because we weren't even that close, but apparently it does.

"Come on in" he slightly strokes my back before letting me into his house— which leaves my eyes wide open. It's like walking right into an alternate reality where your childish friends have grown into mature adults with a perfect house, photo frames, decor and the proof that everything has changed.

I almost can't believe this is all real.

"Please, have a seat. I'll bring Kiara" he leads me to the couch, and i give him a nod.

My eyes wander around, taking in every detail of their charming home— the pictures of Eva throughout the years which cause my heart to implode. Pictures of them growing as a couple, when my eyes land on something least expected.

A picture from Costa Rica, framed and placed around the corner. It contains the four of us, toasting to something, Chris' hand around Kiara's shoulder, and Hero's hand on my thigh— which explains the stunned expression on my face, along with my cheeks red even though I didn't use any make up that day.

I cant remember where or who took this photo, but I do remember feeling happy and contented. As if I wanted nothing to change. But here we are five years later, when I find myself with the opposite of what i was wishing that day.

"Some trip, huh?"

A voice startles me from the behind, and when I recognise that voice with that goddamn accent, it's as if I am left stunned in my place, with no air in my lungs, and the inability to turn around and face him.

~

Author's note-

Hiii! First of all, I am extremely sorry for the wait. But there's loads going on with me, and I'm trying to figure things out. Though I can promise not to make you guys wait this long again x

So we're one chapter closer to the big reunion! I hope you are excited, because you should be ;)

Last thing is, thank you for staying with me and reading. Truly appreciate everyone, love you guys 🧡🧡