16 - hesitancy

Josephine Langford

Keeping the takeout bags on the dining table, I look around the apartment but the turned off lights and pin drop silence tells me he's not home yet. 

I've had a very long day— after the coffee with Kiara, during which she filled me in with almost everything about the wedding, I had to go back to the hospital and attend a ton of patients— and I'm entirely worn off for today. It's a good thing I have a day off tomorrow, and it relieves me that I can rest at home the whole day.

The wedding is in a week from now— and in San Francisco, where she was obliged to move to years back because of his business. She filled me in with many details, along with how she manages to co-parent Eva, and how she has been.

Her flight leaves the day after tomorrow, and she keeps on insisting that I go along with her but I did not have time to process any of what is happening so I told her I'll answer her tomorrow.

I have yet to discuss this with Daxton, and also the hospital because I will be taking a week off. It's all too much to digest and I know exactly how I have to figure out everything.

The first thing I must do is freshen up, Daxton should come home by then and we'll have the Chinese dinner I brought for the both of us. After dinner, I'll tell him everything and hear what he has to say.

Of course I couldn't tell Kiara about my boyfriend today, it didn't feel right because she kept on talking and I was there just to listen and process everything. But I will have to tell her that I have a plus one for the wedding; if at all Dax agrees to come along.

As I change into my shorts and a sweatshirt, the doorbell rings and I pace towards the door knowing he's here after a long day for himself too.

His tired face lightens up when I open the door and he lets out a sigh of relief, his hand gripping onto Andy's leash who's trying to hurry inside. I let both of them in, and he unlocks the leash from Andy's collar the first thing.

"Hi, baby what happened to you?" I crouch down holding Andy's ears and softly massaging them as he likes. I can tell that he's tired than usual, and ready to fall asleep anytime. "Oh you'll be fine, my strong boy" I kiss the top of his head when he lets out a whimper, and let him go to his designated corner that provides him with the comfort he seeks.

"Well hi to you too" Daxton's voice interrupts my gaze at Andy, and I turn around to face him.

"Hi" I whisper with a smile which he returns, and I step towards him to embrace him but he holds up his hand to stop me before I could touch him.

"He was too clingy today" he looks down at his black sweater, that is covered with white and brown hair all over, and then back at me with a helpless shrug.

Giving me a quick kiss on the side of my head, he takes off towards the bedroom and I wait for him at the dining table, with the takeout boxes ready to be dived in.

We've had a tradition of eating Chinese on Saturdays, and it's a funny story because he used to hate Chinese but started loving it because of me and now looks forward to every Saturday. Even when we didn't live together, we had at least one meal together almost every day and I used to spend every weekend at his apartment.

I take my phone out of my pocket and the first thing I see is a notification from Kiara.

Kiki: Thank you for today, Jo. It meant a lot that you actually came and agreed to my thing. I look forward to this and your flight ticket is just one click away xo.