15 - a favour

Josephine Langford

It's 2:45 right now, which means that it's almost time for me to meet her. After five whole years, I'm going to see her and talk to her face to face.

Five goddamn years.

This is harder than I thought. Just because I don't know how it will go. I don't have the assurance that everything will be smooth, and that constant fear that she would be a whole different person and my old Kiara would be nowhere to be found. I hope that doesn't happen because it's the last thing I want.

I have been nervous the whole morning and when I decided I shouldn't really go, I called Daxton and told him about the change in my plans but he managed to console me and convince me that I'm overthinking this like any other thing and that it will be just fine. Hearing his calm voice helped me calm myself down, and gather my thoughts together binding them with confidence. He insisted I call him after the meeting and let him know how it goes and that he will call me as soon as he gets free since Andy has fallen sick. Daxton's heart is stored in that dog and whenever Andy gets sick, he diverts his whole attention and dedication to him and makes sure he's there for his dog. He's the perfect dad to him, and I love seeing that caring nature of his.

I have Ashley covering for me while I'm gone, and it's a big relief knowing I can trust her with my patients.

Throughout the entire ride to the cafe, I kept thinking about her, and what it would be like to meet her after ages. There are severe cramps in my stomach, that I get when I'm too anxious and nervous about something.

As I step inside my go-to cafe, the barista offers greetings and asks if I want my regular order. I politely decline her, not wanting to be rude ordering without the person I'm here to meet with. I check the time and it's five past three. Knowing that she was going to be late as always, I decided to seat myself as I enter further inside.

Just when I was about to take a seat at an empty table for two, a hand flew in the air catching my attention towards it-- and my heart begins sprinting at the sight of Kiara waving at me as she is seated at a table near the window.

My legs begin to go numb as I find myself glued to the spot where I am standing, my eyes taking in the sight of my best friend-- who looks like a completely different person now. She is wearing a beige cashmere turtleneck sweater and plain black jeans, her jacket hung behind her chair. She looks so radiant, her face glowing as a soft smile is planted on her face that has very neutral makeup on. It is no doubt she has grown more mature, it is crystal clear from her posture and the way she looks so subtle and sophisticated. It's so unlike the Kiara I knew before, who was vibrant and vivacious.

"Josephine" she stands up from her seat, and I take slow steps towards her as if I'm in a dramatic movie, but I am not doing it purposely.

"Kiara" I whisper out, the lump in my throat growing gradually in size as I notice her stepping closer to me with her arms ready to embrace me. And just at that moment, she pulls me into a hug, her arms tightly wrapped around me-- without giving me a second to realize-- but when I do, I hesitantly wrap my arms around her too.

An instant current passes down my spine as I inhale the scent of her hair, a chuckle leaving both of our lips when we pull back a minute later. Both of us take our seats without a word, just a smile playing on our lips as we keep taking in every detail of each other.

"Oh my god?" I let out a small gasp when my eyes fall on the diamond rock that is placed on her left hand's ring finger-- and I immediately understand the purpose of this meeting. She is engaged. Kiara Williams is fucking engaged. And I don't even know to who.