12 - an ally

Josephine Langford

Watching her now, it seems as though it was in front of us all along that she's Hero's daughter. It was just a matter of mere notice.

Her emerald eyes, the way she rubs her eyebrow when in confusion, it's all right here that no doubt she's his.

"Ev, should we go back inside now?" Chris asks, gently supporting her back with his hand, and removing the sand from her face from the other.

"Nope," she whispers, her eyes refusing to leave the sand as she continues doing something with it, keeping herself occupied.

"One hell of a kid" he whispers in my direction and I let out a laugh. 

A sudden hand on my shoulder startles me from my position and I look behind to find Hero standing with his head lowered, my heart immediately beginning to pace at the sight of him. His hooded eyes wanting something from me and his body structure alert. He has put his t-shirt on, and his phone is clenched in his hand.

"Hero" Chris calls, and he gives him a death stare before looking back at me, a sigh falling from Chris' lips at his reaction.

"Hero!" Eva calls out for him in excitement after noticing his presence too, and his eyes immediately trace her, softening at her sight as he exhales a shuddered breath.

"Hi, darling" his uncertain voice shifts from firm to hushed, and he gives her the slightest of a smile, a defeated sigh leaving his lips.

"Sit?" She pats beside her, indicating for him to take a seat there.

"Later, okay?" he gives her a swift smile, turning back to me again. "Take a walk with me?" he asks me in a whisper, and I give him a nod as he holds out his hand to help me to get up.

"I'll see you back at the house?" I turn to Chris and give him a small smile which he returns with a nod.

My heart is beating in my throat as I walk behind Hero— he's leading me somewhere and I'm simply following him like a pup. He doesn't seem to care if I walk behind, but he keeps glancing at whether or not I'm going with him.

As much as I don't want to talk to him right now, or anyone, and take some time to process the unreal shit happening, I almost wish he would say something because we've walked for minutes in silence.

He decreases his pace and ensures that he's walking beside me now.

"Say something" he finally breaks the ice, and I look away at the shore instead of facing him

"You called me. You speak" I state, and he scoffs at my firm reply.

"Fair enough" he clears his throat, "I- I don't know what to say, to be honest"

I knew it.

What could he possibly say to me about this?

I'm nothing in his life, his messed up life.

I hold no role whatsoever, and I'm the last person he would come to, especially to vent.

"It's fine" 

"I just needed to be with you" he breathes a whisper, his words poking at my heavy heart.