4 - untold chemistry

Josephine Langford

You know you're on a vacation when you wake up to the sound of the seashore and birds chirping instead of your annoying alarm. Forcing myself out of the bed, I stand up to my height and slide open the curtains-- letting in the beautiful sunrise that brings my cold room back to life.

After turning off the air conditioner and freshening up a bit, as my hand reaches out for my bra kept on the table--waiting to be put on-- I step back as the sudden urge of courage takes over. Maybe I'll let it be.

Feeling a little optimistic about my small act of change, I walk out of my room taking a deep breath and ready to face the day.

"Wow!" His voice reaches through the house, giving me an instant jolt of excitement to see him again.

My stomach starts whirling in knots as I'm met with Hero, the first thing in the morning. He's seated on the couch with his knees folded up as Eva is sitting on his stomach, his eyes fixated on her as he has a gentle grip on her back.

"You're a smart girl, huh?" he slightly pins his index finger on the tip of her nose, and she responds to him with a head nod-- agreeing with what he just said.

"Nose!" she raises her voice in excitement, pointing to his nose as she holds up her own index finger. She has learned this all only recently and like her mum, she's very keen to show off what she learned.

"Yes darling, you've told me that nineteen times" his voice softens, and he holds her hands in his before his eyes spot me coming and a perceptible smile takes over his face.

"Good morning" his voice holds a hint of rasp as he greets-- making my morning good after all.

"Morning" I clear my throat while taking a seat opposite of them, covering my mouth as a yawn escapes from it.

"How did you sleep?"

"Great, thank you" as I speak, Eva's attention is caught by my voice and her head turns around to look at me.

"Jo hi!" her finger points at me while she jumps on her place--making Hero grunt and I give her a smile in return.

"Oh so you can say her name but not mine, hm?" he asks her, turning her towards him as she just laughs, her giggles proliferating as his fingers tickle her sides.

So he's good with kids too.

After our little alone time-spending at the beach yesterday, and getting to know each other a bit, I am starting to see him in a slightly different way. He intimidates me, but I'm not that scared and nervous around him. Yesterday I found out that he isn't just all about his looks-- he's a perfect guy, maybe the perfect guy.

My alter ego has been messing with me ever since I saw him-- it's not what I would normally do. I wouldn't leave my room without a bra, let alone sitting in front of a guy like this without feeling any shame. I wouldn't gulp almost three bottles of beer and open up to someone. But I did.

Because he somehow brings out that side of me.

I have never felt so aspired about something, or someone.

"Hero, how do I look?" Kiara had asked him as I stepped back from the sink after I was done helping her with her hair.

"Stunning as always, love"  he had replied to her as he fixed his black tie in the mirror-- being inches away from me and making my heart pace faster every second.

"Jo, you're a life-saver" she had beamed me a smile, and I nodded in response, even though she knew she didn't need to thank me. She was the one who forced me into this party and picked out everything for me, from my dress to my earrings-- and made me seem like a part of their group even though I didn't consider myself.