3 - growing familiarity

Josephine Langford

"I've got them" Hero says, taking my bags before I could, and giving me a small nod before we're walking inside the house. Another small gesture.

Kiara was right. This place is absolutely stunning-- grand, not to mention. Black and white modernized interior, with high ceilings, open planned-- perfect for a beach house. As I walk inside a little more, I am left awestruck by the breathtaking view that sits in front of me-- the beautiful clear water clashing with the sand, and the beach being completely empty-- not a single person in sight. Only the sound of water, birds, and peace floating in the air as my heart already feels lightened.

"Wow" I whisper to myself, exhaling a deep breath as I tuck in a strand of hair behind my ear. 

"I know right" a voice, his voice, chips in from behind and I quickly turn around to face him. I didn't even realize he was standing behind me. "Sorry I didn't mean to scare you" he chuckles nervously, rubbing the nail of his thumb over his eyebrow-- his cheeks flushed. Oh my god

"It's fine" I reply as my arms hugging around each other, not knowing what to do now.

"I- uh- your bags. Where do you want them?" his voice sounds so subtle, nervous even, that it makes my stomach flip.

"I'll take them, really. Thank you" 

"Let me know if you need anything, yeah?" his hand rests on my arm, his lips twitching into a small smile before he turns on his heels.

My body gets its warmth back as he walks away, leaving me to be able to breathe normally again. 

Distracting myself from his thoughts, I arrange my clothes and essentials in the room I'm going to be staying in for the next seven days. It's huge compared to mine back home, and very comfortable for just one person to live in it. Chris tells me that this is how all rooms are here-- open and too spacious. 

As I've freshened up a bit, changed into some loose shorts and a plain black t-shirt, I feel my body getting exhausted post-traveling as always, and I would love nothing more than to take a short nap to re-energize myself and be able to enjoy the vacation.

As I hear their converging voices from downstairs, I step out of the room and grip the railing, darting my eyes to the couches where they sit. Hero is on a lounge chair and Kiara and Chris sitting on the same couch, her legs on his lap as he subconsciously rubs them while talking to them. Eva sits between them and patiently listens to them talk. 

"Jo! What are you doing so far away from us?" Kiara shouts from down as she spots me.

"I was just going to take a nap actually" I reply, my voice echoing in the house.

"Come have dinner first," Hero says looking up at me, and I immediately want to run downstairs but I hold myself back-- pretending to consider before I run as I don't want to come off desperate. 

"Yeah okay" clearing my throat, I make my way to them and take a seat opposite the couch.

I give Hero a smile and realize that I have been smiling awfully lot ever since we landed. He must think I'm some sort of creep or something. Instantly taking my smile back, I look over to Kiara who tries to respond to her daughter's blabbers.

"If you don't mind me asking something" Hero shifts from the lounge chair to my couch and I suck in a breath.

"No, of course not"

"Where's the father?" his question makes me choke on my breath as he refers to Eva, and I press my lips together.

"Uh- he left, apparently" chewing the inside of my cheek, I try hard to come off serious and I think I am succeeding, the way he nods his head and gives me a pity smile.