22 - surprises, surprises.

Hero Fiennes Tiffin

"So you just kissed her?" my daughter asks me as we drive to the rehearsal dinner, questioning each and every thing about it. It's not like i can ever shut her up, she's the only person I can actually tell how I feel and who would voluntarily listen to me. Not to mention she has grown to be my best friend above everyone else, and i'd like to think i'm hers.

"Yep"

"Just like that!?" her eyes widen as i take a glance at her, and she shakes her head.

"Just like that"  sighing, i pull over at the parking spot and turn to face the girl who looks like she's judging the hell out of me.

"It was your first time kissing her in five years and you didn't think of making it special?" she points out, and then I realise how fucking right she is. How could I just ruin it and kiss her while we both were intoxicated and she ended up regretting it, and pretending it never happened.

"It doesn't matter now, does it? It's over for her and I" I unlock my seatbelt, and so does she before we exit the car and she grabs my hand into hers.

"It's not over, you just never started it properly" she says, and I wonder where she gets all this sense from. Being just a seven-year-old, she's too smart for her age, always has been. And surprisingly always says the right thing even if it's not purposely.

"Enough of that now. We're gonna stay shut during mum's rehearsal dinner okay? No talking about Jo and I, like don't even mention it. You know what just stay by my side the whole time"

"It's okay dad, I will behave" placing a quick kiss on the back of my hand, she runs away towards someone she spots inside, leaving me alone with a sudden gush of panic having to face her alone. I have no idea how I should react or behave around her, it's like I lose all my common sense and get lost into those grey eyes.

As much as i'm dreading meeting all the people tonight, and exchanging fake greetings with them as if i've known them my whole life, what i'm dreading the most is knowing i won't be able to kiss her again or feel her that close to me again tonight.

The bride and groom both are my best friends, and hence they asked me for the most troublesome job there is, keeping drama out of their wedding. So all the dramatic aunts and uncles are supposed to be on my watch, because they tend to test their drinking capacity.

"You're not here Margaret! Your seat is here" I hear Kiara, and her tone clearly gives how annoyed she is already and the dinner hasn't even started yet. I decide to go help her out, after all she could use a hand before she loses her mind and goes nuts on her big day. Not to mention it would keep my mind off of Jo, who hasn't yet crossed my path.

"Kiki, come on" gripping her arm, I pull her away from the crowd, and she gives me an exasperated sigh. "Here" reaching out for my coat's pocket, I hand her one of the pills I got earlier for Chris. I am not proud of it, but as his best man it is my duty to fulfil his desires and he asked this only thing from me, said that it would keep him calm. But clearly his to-be wife needs it more right now.

"Are you out of your mind? It's my rehearsal dinner! I can't just—" she immediately pops it in her mouth, and grabs the champagne glass from the waiter passing by, gulping it down her throat. I knew there was no way she could refuse it, she was just trying to see if she can act like she doesn't want it and cares about being sober.