23 - blaming game

Hero Fiennes Tiffin

"Eva this is inappropriate" I stand up from our hiding position, and she clicks her tongue before standing up herself.  "You should get back to your mother"

"He's clearly not a nice man, dad" she whispers, and I just know that she got this little craving of finding out what someone's hiding from a new movie she watched recently. "I could find out more—"

"No this is not a movie, okay? It's not our place to do anything about it, now wrap it up and forget it"

"But I want to do this for you, if he's a bad guy, Jo will leave him" she walks away before I could say something, but I'm not gonna let her meddle in this even if it would turn out in my advantage.

Clearing my throat, I stand up straight and look around before walking towards the bar. Adding to my tension, I find Daxton at the bar waiting for his drink as his attention is diverted to his phone. I walk towards him cursing under my breath for my fate. It is too late to be bolting away from here, and I don't want to seem like a creep now.

"Hey, Hero right?" he chimes in as I order my drink, and I flash him a small smile nodding.

"Yeah man. You're Josephine's friend I believe" he brings out his hand for a shake, and unwillingly I clasp my right hand with his firmly.

"Indeed" he chuckles nervously, and I can't quite catch if he's socially shy or still guilty about that phone call. I'm gonna keep my nose out of this, at least that's what I keep saying to myself.

"So how's it going with you two?" I ask being aware how much i'm gonna hate the answer when the last thing I want is a bill of how good they're together, the perfect loving couple with zero bumps in their relationship whatsoever.

"Great, it's uh—" his phone's ding distracts him as he quickly glances at the notification, his posture changing when he does, "it's going pretty great actually" he again nervously puts his phone back into his pocket, and I decide to just ignore through all these details.

After a few minutes of dreadful small talk, I manage to make my exit from the bar and join everyone else— as they stand all set to leave the venue.

"I thought we were staying?"

"We are, but at your apartment" Kiara replies, studying my face for a reaction but I'm tangled in my thoughts whether or not it would be a good idea. "if that's okay...?"

"Uh, yeah sure. Sure" rubbing my forehead with my thumb as I give them a small smile, I notice Jo search for her boyfriend. Before I could make any further uncanny observations, Eva slides beside me, her hand snaking with mine as she leans in, claiming how tired she is.

Jo and Daxton end up riding in my car, lucky me, so i got to overhear their cheesy stupid conversations. Like how he missed her, how she missed him, how he didn't like the empty side of her bed, how he missed making her meals. Blegh. I'm gagging. I know how to cook but you don't see me showing it off.

I will not forgive Kiara for this, making me go through 25 minutes of extra hell as they talked all lovey-dovey when I was just like a driver to them, not to me daughter ofcourse, who was too tired to talk but still managed to make me not feel alone.

"We're here" I announce pulling up in my parking spot, and unbuckling my seatbelt as one of their conversations just comes to an end.

"Oh she's asleep" Jo whispers, looking at Eva in the front seat with her eyes shut and head hanging in the side. I'm not even surprised by her trick.